Kohler K-304 valve plumbing

Users who are viewing this thread

Dgreen

Reaction score
I have a kohler K-304 valve to install. The shower outlet is not in the same wall cavity as the valve. For shower only, can I use the down port on the valve? It needs to go down, accross the joist, and back up to handshower outlet. What are the risks of using the down port for a shower?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I don't think you'll find that there's an issue using that port with a shower only. But, by extending that run by going down, then back up, keep in mind that there will be no way for the line to drain, and you'll have a big slug of room temperature water in there. And, if the shower isn't used often, it will sit there and maybe grow some crud. Had you considered using a tub spout in there with a diverter? Some call them a 'toe tester', which would allow you to get the water the desired temp, and, as a second benefit, allow the line to drain in between uses. It can also be helpful to fill a bucket if you wanted to mop the floor.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
k-304-r01.jpg

The lower outlet gives you more volume of water. It's fine for your handshower.

Dgreen

Reaction score
I don't think you'll find that there's an issue using that port with a shower only. But, by extending that run by going down, then back up, keep in mind that there will be no way for the line to drain, and you'll have a big slug of room temperature water in there. And, if the shower isn't used often, it will sit there and maybe grow some crud. Had you considered using a tub spout in there with a diverter? Some call them a 'toe tester', which would allow you to get the water the desired temp, and, as a second benefit, allow the line to drain in between uses. It can also be helpful to fill a bucket if you wanted to mop the floor.
thanks.......this is a walk-in shower only, so a tub spout might just become a conversation piece! Considering that it will be almost daily use, I'm going to try it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks