Kohler K-304 Rite temp mixing valve has tempered water but no cold only

Users who are viewing this thread

Vince Gorman

Reaction score
Installed a K-304 rite temp in a tub shower combo. Water lines were reversed so the cartridge was installed upside down (as described in the Kohler back to back installation instructions. Tempreing valve is working as water is not more than 120 degrees. If valve is only opened part way...water should be cold. It is still tempered water. Any thoughts on what is going on?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I had one a month ago customer had me come out for a bunch of work and evedently he did his own work He said he was getting hot or warm all the time and to change cartridge. I ordered one and some trim and other stuff changed both cartridge and pressure ballance spool . easy to do works like a charm. ( I personaly didnt diagnose it just followed his orders)

Vince Gorman

Reaction score
I had one a month ago customer had me come out for a bunch of work and evedently he did his own work He said he was getting hot or warm all the time and to change cartridge. I ordered one and some trim and other stuff changed both cartridge and pressure ballance spool . easy to do works like a charm. ( I personaly didnt diagnose it just followed his orders)
Thanks Jeff. This being a rarely used year old installation, the fact it was not working had me looking for something other than a component failure!

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Is it a K304 or K8304? I thought the 304 was discontinued more than a year ago. Not that it changes the diagnosis. Just make sure you know which one it is if you're going to get Kohler to ship out a new cartridge.

k-8304-01.jpg

k-304-r21.jpg

K-304

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks