Kohler K-303 diverter losing pressure to shower

Users who are viewing this thread

Speede541

Reaction score
A few years back I replumbed the shower using a Kohler K-303-K-NA 3-handle diverter valve.

Pulling the center diverter knob has always resulted in a notable KLUNK noise, and water reliably flows to the shower head.

Recently however I've lost pressure to a dribble. When I pull on the diverter knob, I'll get full pressure initially, but then within a second or so there's a softer THUNK noise from the diverter knob, and the water quickly tapers down.

I don't see a rebuild kit for the faucet, but Kohler does list individual spare parts. There are a couple of O-rings and washers, a seat, a spring, and of course the diverter body. Is there a suspect part I should be looking for here? I haven't cracked it open yet, hoping it's something obvious like a sliced O-ring or corroded spring.

https://www.us.kohler.com/us/catalog/svg_viewer.jsp?productId=417890&diagram=0

Speede541

Reaction score
Thought I should follow up for anybody searching for an answer to a similar problem...

Turned out it was my vacuum breaker on the shower hose that went bad. Makes sense, since after disassembling the diverter valve, there didn't appear any way it could be responsible for dropping shower head pressure without also allowing water out of the bathtub spigot.

Still, weird that I could feel that soft "thunk" through the diverter handle.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Thanks for the update. That's going to help the next homeowner when it happens to them.
Vacuum breaker? I wasn't going to guess that. I'm glad it worked out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks