Kohler Ingenium: water slowly running into bowl

Users who are viewing this thread

thomas711

Reaction score
I came across a previous post by a member and thought that my problem was going to be solved. I have rust stains in my bowl (guest bathroom)... so I started looking to see if water was leaking. Sure enough, there is a very slight but steady supply of water streaming into the bowl along the left-hand side.

From the suggestions of a post from October (for a different problem), I tried adjusting the water level in the tank. I did that, but the water is still "leaking" into the bowl.

Any suggestions? Thank you, in advance, for any help!

Thomas

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
If the water level inside the tank is right at the top of the large overflow tube, then the problem is a leaky fill valve not shutting off.

If the tank water level is normal, then check to see if the small black refill tube is stuffed down inside the larger overflow tube. If so, it is siphoning water. You can get a bracket to position it ABOVE the overflow. You can even cobble a bracket up from a paper clip.

If none of the above, then it is simply a leaky flapper. Assuming this is a Wellworth, or actually no matter what model, it is a KOHLER, so the "generic" flappers at the hardware store are not right. Some of the common Kohler flappers are available at HD or Lowes. Otherwise, take it with you to a plumging store for a proper replacement.

thomas711

Reaction score
Jimbo,

Thanks again for your message.

This morning I adjusted the float cup so that less water will fill the tank... so the water is now a little more below the overflow pipe.

The black refill tube is clamped to the inside of the overflow pipe... the water flows through the black tube into the overflow pipe when the toilet is flushed.

I also turned the water off to the toilet & drained the water. The leak seemed to stop. Just now I turned the water back on, filled the tank, and turned the water back off. The leak seemed to come back.

So the only way that water goes from the tank into the bowl is by the flapper raising up and water emptying from the tank into the bowl? I'm sure you hate questions like this ... I'm a new homeowner trying to do-it-myself.

So then, the only way that the water could be getting into my bowl is through a leak in the flapper (it's not sealing very well)?

Thomas

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
No...... when the end of the little black tube is down inside, if it is below the water line level....that little tube will siphon water from the tank.

thediver

Reaction score
Sure enough, there is a very slight but steady supply of water streaming into the bowl along the left-hand side.

Thomas

Hi Thomas,

I've had the same problem with one of my Kohler Rialtos; a very slight trickle stream into the bowl. It also appeared that my fill valve was leaking drip by drip from the top of the assembly from the screws the sealed the o-ring.

A VERY strange phenomenon I discovered. Whenever someone ran water elsewhere in the house, such as turning on a faucet in the kitchen, filling the bathtub, etc., the small stream into the bowl stopped as well as the leaking fill valve assembly.

I still can't figure out what is causing this. If anyone has any thoughts, please let me know. I was thinking it might be a pressure thing going on in the entire house.

I ended up replacing the entire fill valve assembly, and even with a new one, it still "runs" for hours. The pressure thing still seems to be going on. I fix one toilet and then the next one develops the same symptoms.

I'm curious if you try turning on water elsewhere in the house - try the bathroom sink - and see if the trickle in the bowl stops. Let me know.

Amy

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Amy, buy a water pressure gauge...they're inexpensive, around $10. You can screw it onto a hose faucet, or elsewhere if you also buy some adapters. If you pressure is excessive, a pressure regulation valve and an expansion tank are called for. The pressure shouldn't be above 80, and 50-60 is more typical.

thomas711

Reaction score
It's not an overabundance of pressure. I *wish* water pressure was a problem in my house!

It's weird because one toilet acts this way, the other toilet does not. It's the one in my guest bathroom that is slowly leaking into my bowl.

Anybody else??

Do you think I should ditch the Kohler Ingenium in that bathroom?

Last edited:

thomas711

Reaction score
UPDATE: I've tried turning the water off to the toilet and not using it. After a few hours the tank is empty. Does that mean that the water is emptying from the tank into the bowl?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Try replacing the flapper............................

Be sure the flapper seat does not have any build up on it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks