Kohler Gleam ReadyLock leak

Users who are viewing this thread

Aliusa

Reaction score
After a week+ of using noticing a leak around the bottom of the toilet when flushing. Since the gleam is a skirted toilet with the readylock system it's hard to tell if you got it trap aligned cause you really can't see anything. I was able to align the holes on skirt to where you bolt the toilet to the adaptor. But that's about all I know.

How can I tell what's leaking in this type of system?

Thanks,
A

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Call the plumber who installed it. If that is you, welcome to the club of no good deeds.
First use a flashlight to discern any obvious sources.
If it is definitely from the bottom we do a full on bench test after pulling.
Sometimes dye in solution to see hairline crack.
We use sawhorses and planks.

Aliusa

Reaction score
@breplum

The water doesn't seep out but if I slide a piece of paper underneath when you flush the edge of paper gets wet but only when you flush.

There is no rocking on the toilet, it's very secure. I'm gonna see if I can get myself a camera snake and figure out the leak before lifting up this bohemeth of a toilet!

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Every toilet leak that I've gone out to take care of that has a "Unifit" that the toilet sockets down on is installer error or an old failure with the wax ring... These are the easiest toilets to install and there is Zero reason that the wax ring should ever fail since you can see it while the unifit is being placed on the flange with the wax seal.

I have a similar skirted Kohler toilet sitting in the office and it does have a hole in the back of the porcelain that you could get an inspection camera into. May even be able to reach a hand if you're very limber. But the test will be if water is coming from that upper gasket or not. Likely it will be only visible around the base which will indicate a wax ring replacement.

Aliusa

Reaction score
Now it's not leaking... I flushed it several times today. I didn't do anything to repair it. Weird.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Leaks rarely fix themselves. However we have had clients whose children or elderly father have completely missed the target and they thought their toilet was leaking. A spill could explain it.

Still an easy test would be to insert a wad of tissue paper on a string or a rod that you can extract from the bowels of the toilet bowl to see if there is moisture inside.. you don't want to let a leak leak long.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks