Kohler DTV Thermostatic Valve Systems

Users who are viewing this thread

Randall Grogan

Reaction score
Has anyone on this forum had experience with the Kohler DTV systems. I am considering installation of one in our "wet room", which holds both a tub (tub spout, handheld spray) and a shower (showerhead, body sprays, rain shower). I assume that this would require two systems, unless Kohler's six port valve could have one controller for the bath and a second for the shower?

I am accustomed to the installation of a thermostatic valve and then a volume control valve for each plumbing fixture. This would all seem to replaced by the hidden DTV valve and the only visible component being the electronic controller. It would certainly save space on the wall of the shower and provide for a cleaner look.

Anyone care to comment on their reliability and usability?

We already have an older Amerec Steam shower system, it would be nice if we could figure out how to integrate its control into this system? Who knows, maybe I will get really motivated and consider music and lighting. We already have a Sonos system (music).

link added by Terry
http://www.us.kohler.com/us/DTV-Custom-Showering-Experience/content/CNT2400429.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
My general feeling on things Kohler is that they look nice, but they are not always the most friendly to install, and can be a real nightmare to find repair parts when the time comes. They change their designs frequently, and their parts book looks like a phone book (remember them?), and as a result, few places can afford to stock the parts, so it's often special order back to the factory IF you can identify the actual part number you need. As a result, I prefer to use something from one of the other big manufacturers that makes a good design, and may change the trim to match up with the current trends, but often, the guts are the same since they work, and therefore, you can find the parts easily when needed, often, fairly inexpensive (if not free from the manufacturer) because they have amortized the cost over millions verses maybe a few thousands before they (Kohler) decides to change it yet again. No experience on this one specifically, so take that with a grain of salt.

Randall Grogan

Reaction score
jadnashua,

Thanks for the input.

Well I certainly agree that some of the Kohler stuff can be difficult to install. I recently installed two sets of three of the Kohler Watertile bodysprays. I will say that you better read the rough-in requirements and then read them again. When they say the depth should 1 1/2 - 2" from the finished wall, what they really mean is it better be exactly 1 3/4". If I were to do another set, I would install as deep in a 6" wall cavity as I could and bring every possible length of pipe nipple I could find.

WatFallet

Reaction score
Randall,

Can you give an update? I'm considering installing a Kohler DTV Prompt (model K-557), which is the model that has three outlets (supports 3 fixtures). There are some good reviews on a popular retail website for a different model (K-527), which as 2 outlets. But I would have expected there to be more reviews out there generally. I would love to hear about your experience with it.

Randall Grogan

Reaction score
I ended up installing both the 3-port and the 2-port Kohler DTV Prompts.

The 3-port controls body sprays, a wall showerhead and an overhead rain shower. The 2-port is the Eco version which controls flow to the tub and a hand spray. I used the Eco version so that we can filled the tub with the count down timer without having to pay attention. Worst case scenario, it overflows into the shower. The controllers for each are in the wet room. However, I did run an extra cable so that I could control the shower (to warm it up) from outside the wet room. As it turned out, an extra controller didn't seem worth the effort.

I like the look, very clean and certainly have a bit of a wow factor. Two small controllers on the wall, as opposed to 5 control valves and 2 thermostatic controls. The plumbing is also simplified with home runs from the valves to the outlets. In my case, I had a space above the shower area where I could place the valves and have easy access if I need to change/update the valves. By my calculation, the cost is about a wash, particularly since I planned on using Kohler Purist fixtures. The cost of the Prompt controllers and the 2-port and 3-port valves ran approximately $1700-1800.

So far so good for the first six months. We will have to see how everything holds up over the next 5-10 years.

WatFallet

Reaction score
Thanks, Randall.

Do you mind sharing where you bought them? If the whole package of both valves and all the controllers cost you $1700-1800 then you got a good deal. I've found the 3-port valve (K-557) alone to be $950, each controller (K-558) is $270, and then you have to buy a $50 mounting bracket (K-559) for each controller. So I'm looking at about $1600 just for the 3-port Prompt system with two controllers.

My planned setup for our 60" x 40" shower is to have one port go to a rainfall shower, one port go to a fixed shower head, and the third to a handheld. I wasn't planning on doing body sprays.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks