kohler cimarron vs. ultramax vs. drake

Users who are viewing this thread

lisaa

Reaction score
I need to choose toilets for my new house in Ohio. I need 8 toilets. Need decision quickly!

I was set to choose the toto ultramax (with sanigloss) or drake, but my plumber is discouraging me. He says the totos are no longer the best, and they do not wash down well due to their low water spot. He mentioned the recent consumer report article, where toto didn't fare well.

He is steering me towards the Kohler Cimarron, which he says washes down the bowl better and the flapper is easier to buy and replace, which he said with chlorinated water will need to be done every 3-5 years (we currently have well water, so I'm unfamiliar with that problem).

He also said that he cannot get a discount with Toto, and he does with Kohler.

From the information on this site, it appears there are problems with the Kohler cimarron not washing down, and not with the totos.

Please help! I don't want to spend my time cleaning toilets, nor unclogging them!

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
"discount" is a relative situation. The list price on Kohler stuff is enourmous, so it is no surprise that most people buy it at a "discount". What matters to you is not percents but dollar vs dollar.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
"I own a Kohler Cimarron that never stays clean in the bowl, never, but flushes really good." RUGGED

I've used both the Toto and the Cimarron.
The Cimarron will plug more and not wash the back of the bowl.
Terry

CR's latest test only looked at the Toto Carlyle, which they recommend.

However, CR doens't test for bowl wash with normal household stuff.
I'm afraid that needs to be done the old fashioned way with "in-home" testing.
In the long run, you have to defer to all the women and children out there and what they have to say. I'm finding that Toto is winning in the homes.

If you're doing eight toilets, you will find a discount somewhere.

The Kohler uses the Fluidmaster fill valve and their own 3.25" flapper.

Toto uses the Korky Quietfill valve, found at Lowes and other hardware stores. They have a 3" flapper made by Korky, the same people that are supplying flappers for others.

Pretty much all tank repairs for either can be made in very little time and without tools.
So neither one has an advantage in the repair department.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks