Kohler ceramic bathtub valve....do they leak on their own ? Spontaneous? Without notice

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Hot water ceramic valve.... is it possible for you to leave with no leaks and then come back and find that the valve started leaking without turning the valve?
Kohler

gp77005-rp.jpg

GP77005-RP Ceramic Valve​

We left for the weekend, when we came back the hot water was leaking thru the spout . Our kids say they did not leave the valve open and when we came back from the weekend, the hot water was flowing.....When I removed the valve, we found the brass on the valves side had a piece missing , likely corroded.
We could not close the valve to stop it from leaking....
The question is, could the valve have leaked on its own without anyone turning the valve?
Thanks for your opinion

Last edited by a moderator:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Anything is possible. Perhaps the brass had lost some zinc or had a defect and it was just paper thin when you left. Then it became less than paper thin and leaked.

Call Kohler and get a replacement.

Reaction score
Thanks, that makes total sense, there was about a 1/4 inch square piece missing when the cartridge was removed.
I changed both hot and cold valves at the same time.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks