Kohler Canister toilet clogs

Users who are viewing this thread

Mikey43

Reaction score
I have two Kohler canister flush type toilets. They seem to clog a lot. I will flush one and it won't completely flush and I wait till it refills and then do it again. Most times it won't flush at all, the water rises in the bowl and then they won't flush. Then I will go to the second one and check it to make sure it is working and it too will not flush completely, clog and then fill the bowl with water. I snake it, plunge it, but nothing will unclog it. The only way is to leave it alone for about ten minutes and the bowls (both) will drain the water and then I can come and flush them. It appears that I am drowning the toilets and they won't work until the bowl and water levels have receded. Anyone have a clue what is going on. I call a plumber and when they get to the house they flush as good as new, except my wallet is a little lighter.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
Get a 5 gallon bucket or waste container and fill it as high as you can handle. Pour that water into a toilet from as high as you dare as fast as you dare. That may knock something loose and clean the path.

If drain will not accept all of that water, get your drain professionally rodded out. If the toilets don't flush well after that, replace one toilet. If you like the improvement, replace the other.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Normally bowls flush better when the bowl is full to start with. That is unless it's a main backup.
That would require some major snaking if it's a main line back up.

There will be a fill tube off of the fill valve that empties into the overflow. This refills the bowl after a flush. It should siphon the bowl better if it starts at a normal level, assuming the main line is clear.

If there is something lodged in the trapway, that can slow things down.

The Canister flush works pretty well for most people. You can also try holding the trip lever down to drop more water during a flush.

k-3999_8.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks