Kohler 3402-PB Rialto OLD Flush Valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Lindakota

Reaction score
Have purchased Kohler's replacement flush valve kit, but cannot find any diagrams/illustrations etc.on how to remove the old"Original" flush valve. There don't seem to be any screws. There are three metal looking sleeves and it looks like you can just pull up on the old flush valve?
However, I am concerned about breaking the tank and about whether or not there is some sealant underneath?
Has anyone tried to take off the really old round flush valve and do you have any tips? I have three of these toilets and new Kohler replacement flush valve kits. If I can do one, I can take care of them all, since all have suffered for years from the same problems. Thanks..Lin

Lindakota

Reaction score
Thanks very much for the info and for the link. At least now I understand what is going on. Next step is to try to turn those ears to unlatch. Seems a bit awkward to do and they are tight, but I will keep trying. Thanks again. Lindakota

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You could also cut them with something like a dremel tool and pick the pieces out from below.

Lindakota

Reaction score
Again, my thanks. Tied to turn those ears but they don't budge. Don't have any tools to cut, so the Dremel route is out. I called Kohler and they told me just to push down and turn one way or the other. However with me at 125 pounds and the tight space that the toilet is in, there was not enough strength to turn anything. I will keep trying though.
A thought - rather than replacing the flush valve...is there any type of sealant that holds up underwater that I could just spread around the base of this original flush valve? Apologies for my naivete, but plumbers around my area just don't want anything to do with Kohler fixtures, so I have sort of gotten into trying to fix them myself. I have no plumbing background,....am an art teacher and have only read up on toilets. They don't seem complicated but this is just a tough one.
Thanks for your help though. I really appreciate your adding to my understanding of these Kohler toilets. Lindakota

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I don't believe that any sealant applied around the outside would work for long. Now you see why us plumbers don't care to much for Kohler. Have you got any burley neighbor guys you could borrow for a minute or, two?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks