Knocking Hot Water Pipes

Users who are viewing this thread

johnsonkar

Reaction score
Recently our hot water pipe started knocking when the hot water is turned off. This happens in both bathrooms located on the second floor of our house. What is causing this? What is the solution to stopping it? I found out that if I turn on cold water and then turn off the hot water, it doesn't knock. But try getting two teenage daughters to do the same. At any rate, I figured this was a plumbing problem. Our house is 16 years old--we bought it this summer.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Does this happen from any hot water faucet in the house, or only at one of them?

mrdasu

Reaction score
I have the same problem and the noise is very loud, like someone is using a drill or hammer noise.

this only happens when we turn on hot water in bathroom on the second floor ONLY.

thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
From what I've read here, a loose washer or valve seat can cause this.

johnsonkar

Reaction score
Knocking Pipes

Knocking pipes in the upstairs...pipes knock when the faucets are turned off AND when the sprinkler system is going...
Driving me nuts...particularly since my sprinkler comes on at 4:30 a.m. and the noise in the pipes awakens me
:confused:

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks