knocking and shut offs...

Users who are viewing this thread

paulhar

Reaction score
1)
I have a separate shower and bath. I have put piping to prevent knocking for the bathtub. Does a separate shower require the same thing?

2)
If I have shut off valves for the entire bathroom, do I need separate shutoff valvues for my sink?
(Since they are seen under every sink...)

Thanks

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
(1)...what do you mean when you say pipes to prevent knocking? shock suppressors? Where did you put them?

(2)...You think they look bad or what?...If you are the guy servicing the bathroom, you would want them. Personally I think that because you need a supply pipe that a small chrome shut-off doesn't detract. So whats your real question?

paulhar

Reaction score
1) On the tub - there is a tee connection going into each valve with 1/2 pipe extending up two feet. Perhaps this is fiction but it seems to me that tubs are more prone to knocking than showers.. Is this true?

2) From your reply - it appears that there is no real reason to additional shut offs at the sink...? How is it any more convienent for service?

Prashster

Reaction score
Separate shutoffs are advisable bkz if you need to disable the sink for several days, the absence of its own shut offs would mean you couldn't use the rest of the bathroom. Hope you can hold it for that long!!!

Those stubs are called hammer arresters. They say (I cannot confirm) that simple stubs of pipe like this eventually fill with water, making them useless in suppressing hammering. "Proper" hammer arresters are sold as such, and I imply by their higher price that there's something in there that prevents them from filling. Can someone confirm?

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
" Prashster says: there's something in there that prevents them from filling. Can someone confirm?"

Sounds like they put air chambers behind the tub too. Probably a pipe extension with a cap on top.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Hammer arrestors have a bladder or sealed compartment...it is not open to the water where the trapped air can disolve into the water stream over time.

Prashster

Reaction score
You can keep your simple pipe stubs functioning like good hammer arrestors by draining your houses water supply every couple days and replenishing the air. Doesn't that sound like fun? ;)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks