Klunk / bang after pressure switch shuts off

Users who are viewing this thread

Eliteconcept

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Seeking some advice here. My well system makes a clunk / bang after the pressure switch shuts off.
Its a submersible well pump
The pressure tank is a year old
The pump runs for about 50 - 55 seconds after it turns on.

Its made this noise for sometime now Im just having time to get around to looking into it. From what ive researched, sounds like may be check valve in well? But wanted to post info and video to help me get an assessment of what im looking at here for a fix.

Noise is a bit louder than what the video presents.

Thanks in advance.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If you have a check valve above ground remove it or gut it so it can't work. This might make the check valve on the pump, which is the only check needed, close easier. Running only 55 seconds is what causes the check valves to fail, as they slam shut every 55 seconds. That is lots of slamming. The mechanical soft stop from using a Cycle Stop Valve keeps the check from slamming. Plus, the CSV makes the pump run continuously when using water, which eliminates the cycling on/off that causes check valve failures as well as destroying the pump, tank, switch, and everything else in a pump system.

Eliteconcept

Reaction score
If you have a check valve above ground remove it or gut it so it can't work. This might make the check valve on the pump, which is the only check needed, close easier. Running only 55 seconds is what causes the check valves to fail, as they slam shut every 55 seconds. That is lots of slamming. The mechanical soft stop from using a Cycle Stop Valve keeps the check from slamming. Plus, the CSV makes the pump run continuously when using water, which eliminates the cycling on/off that causes check valve failures as well as destroying the pump, tank, switch, and everything else in a pump system.

Thanks for the reply. I dont recall seeing an above ground check valve, unless (and i wouldn't put it past the stupid people who built this house) they buried it behind the drywall ceiling where the well pipes enter the house. I'll check again though.

That being said if I don't have an above ground check valve, does it appear that the noise is coming from the submersible check ?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The extra check could also be in the well. Some installers add an extra or two before the pipe comes out of the well. The noise is certainly coming from the failed check valve. Where that is I do not know. But yes it could be just the one on the pump. All check valves fail from being slammed shut and thrown open over and over while the pump is cycling everything to death. The fix is to replace the check valve. Eliminating the cycling is how to keep it from happening again.

Eliteconcept

Reaction score
fair enough. I just want a place to start or have an idea to what the issue might be if I start to call for quotes to fix this. The banging is besides annoying probably not great for the pipes in the house to experience I'm sure

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Yeah every time you hear a water hammer thump or bang there was a pressure spike 5 to 10 times the working pressure shooting through every pipe in the system. When the pump cycles on at full force it throws the poppet in the check valve hard against the main stop. Then when the pump stops the poppet is stuck and the water is allowed to reverse direction, which slams the poppet down on the seat causing water hammer. Cycling is bad for everything and then the water hammer makes it worse.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks