Kitec PEX-Al-PEX and Sharkbites

Users who are viewing this thread

Rossn

Reaction score
I am in the middle of replacing some Kitec PEX-Al-PEX that was used for Cold and DHW, and need to temp re-connect it. Any reason I cannot use shark bites to temporarily connect the Kitec PEX-Al-PEX to the new copper? I believe the shark bites are fine on PEX, but wanted to confirm the PEX-Al-PEX.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I don't know, but a quick search pulled this up, still lookin though.

Compatible with compression type PEX fittings and Press type connection system.

PEX-AL-PEX tubing is a composite type tubing comprised of 3 layers (PEX, Aluminum and PEX) bonded together. Since aluminum is impermeable to oxygen, it acts as an effective oxygen diffusion barrier and eliminates the need for an additional EVOH layer (as in barrier PEX), making it suitable for hydronic and radiant heating applications, including warm floors, baseboard/radiator systems, snow melt systems and others.

Sharkbite
compatible pipe types, including PEX, copper, CPVC, PE-RT & HDPE. Transition fittings for PVC and polybutylene available.

Last edited:

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
To my understanding, PEX-Al-PEX is not CTS (copper tube size, OD = nominal + 1/8"), so you can't use a standard SharkBite.

https://www.pexuniverse.com/pex-al-pex-tubing-technical-specifications

So I think you'd need to find a compression connector made for PEX-Al-PEX. Unless Kitek is different?

The above chart does suggest a sharkbite might work on 1/2" (0.630" OD versus 0.625"), not sure what the OD tolerances are for Sharkbites, or (edit) if the ID being different would cause a problem with the stiffener.

Cheers, Wayne

Rossn

Reaction score
Ok, thanks Terry and Wwhitney. I had also just called and they confirmed the same... I had forgotten that it may have a different OD. Shamefully I think I did cap some 1/2" with a sharkbite cap earlier in the project and it has held (given it is larger, probably not an issue).

I think Watts is now making the connectors for the Kitek, as I understand that Watts actually bought out the PEX equipment from Kitek, and is now making the same tubing.

I think I need to call Watts and confirm the product line that will work and/or see if I can find any alternatives that may be available at the big-box. If anyone knows, let me know.

Last edited:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think Watts is now making the connectors for the Kitek, as I understand that Watts actually bought out the PEX equipment from Kitek, and is now making the same tubing.

Interesting I'm working on a condo that has Kitec run to 4 units. We replaced one unit outright during a large remodel. I refuse to perform any repairs to the Kitec tubing itself, but was curious if I could use the same mechanical connectors with another brand of PEX or if I was going to have to modify the manifolds just to modify a single run leaving the rest in place. Would definitely be interested to hear what you found out

I found this from Watts. Tubing and fittings. They look exactly like the Kitec fittings.

Last edited:

Shagpal

Reaction score
I am in the middle of replacing some Kitec PEX-Al-PEX that was used for Cold and DHW, and need to temp re-connect it. Any reason I cannot use shark bites to temporarily connect the Kitec PEX-Al-PEX to the new copper? I believe the shark bites are fine on PEX, but wanted to confirm the PEX-Al-PEX.
I found this. sharkbite refers to pex-al-pex as multi-layer pex

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks