Kitec PEX-Al-PEX and Sharkbites

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Rossn, Mar 26, 2021.

1. Rossn

Rossn Member

I am in the middle of replacing some Kitec PEX-Al-PEX that was used for Cold and DHW, and need to temp re-connect it. Any reason I cannot use shark bites to temporarily connect the Kitec PEX-Al-PEX to the new copper? I believe the shark bites are fine on PEX, but wanted to confirm the PEX-Al-PEX.

2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    I don't know, but a quick search pulled this up, still lookin though.

Compatible with compression type PEX fittings and Press type connection system.

PEX-AL-PEX tubing is a composite type tubing comprised of 3 layers (PEX, Aluminum and PEX) bonded together. Since aluminum is impermeable to oxygen, it acts as an effective oxygen diffusion barrier and eliminates the need for an additional EVOH layer (as in barrier PEX), making it suitable for hydronic and radiant heating applications, including warm floors, baseboard/radiator systems, snow melt systems and others.

Sharkbite
    compatible pipe types, including PEX, copper, CPVC, PE-RT & HDPE. Transition fittings for PVC and polybutylene available.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. wwhitney

wwhitney Well-Known Member

To my understanding, PEX-Al-PEX is not CTS (copper tube size, OD = nominal + 1/8"), so you can't use a standard SharkBite.

https://www.pexuniverse.com/pex-al-pex-tubing-technical-specifications

So I think you'd need to find a compression connector made for PEX-Al-PEX. Unless Kitek is different?

The above chart does suggest a sharkbite might work on 1/2" (0.630" OD versus 0.625"), not sure what the OD tolerances are for Sharkbites, or (edit) if the ID being different would cause a problem with the stiffener.

Cheers, Wayne

5. Rossn

Rossn Member

Ok, thanks Terry and Wwhitney. I had also just called and they confirmed the same... I had forgotten that it may have a different OD. Shamefully I think I did cap some 1/2" with a sharkbite cap earlier in the project and it has held (given it is larger, probably not an issue).

I think Watts is now making the connectors for the Kitek, as I understand that Watts actually bought out the PEX equipment from Kitek, and is now making the same tubing.

I think I need to call Watts and confirm the product line that will work and/or see if I can find any alternatives that may be available at the big-box. If anyone knows, let me know.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2021