Kitchen Vent Options

Users who are viewing this thread

Scott Yackley

Reaction score
See attached layout. A local plumber recommended venting this kitchen sink with an AAV (Air Admittance Valve), but I am not that familiar with these devices. I was going to tie it into the main stack vent to only have a single cutout in the roof, but this has a long up and down path thru the attic. Another option is a separate stack on its own, but this would be towards the front of the house which I want to avoid if possible. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Scott

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 147

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I have always had three or more vents through the roof. I've also not been allowed to angle up and then down with my vent.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've also not been allowed to angle up and then down with my vent.
That seems to be a difference between the UPC and the IPC. The UPC says ". . . vent shall be level or shall be so graded and connected as to drip back by gravity to the drainage pipe it serves." Which wouldn't allow the up and then down.

https://up.codes/viewer/california/ca-plumbing-code-2019/chapter/9/vents#905.0

But the IPC says "Vent and branch vent pipes shall be so graded and connected as to drain back to the drainage pipe by gravity." [Which precludes any level sections.] Since it doesn't specify the drainage pipe served by the vent, one can argue that the up and down is allowed, as each side connects to a vent that drains back to a drainage pipe.

https://up.codes/viewer/colorado/ipc-2018/chapter/9/vents#905.2

Cheers, Wayne

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
no up and down with vents. easiest is the aav im not googleing your zip code and guessing your plumbing code to know if its allowed.
so run a new stack or run aav.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Upc doesn't allow aav's. Being that your plumber advised you to use an aav I'm going to say your ipc.

To me this looks like an enlarged island vent. I don't think any inspector would disallow any option other than the aav (in the case of upc).

I would go with the individual stack mainly becuse it's easier than running all of that pipe through the attic in my opinion. Plus it's more sound and less likley to give you any differential pressure.

James23912

Reaction score
Could you run it along the attic floor to the smaller rear vent, giving a slight rise? Or using option 3, instead of going down, run it thru the roof near the peak on the back?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of AAV but I'm guessing there are literally millions in use and its legal there . but if all your walls are open and you haven't got a roof on just run a vent up and through roof its easy right?

Scott Yackley

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the feedback. Thinking will add this vent thru the roof so it is done right and don't have to worry about a mechanical device (AAV) failing down the road.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the feedback. Thinking will add this vent thru the roof so it is done right and don't have to worry about a mechanical device (AAV) failing down the road.
yea that is best , especialy if dosent require ripping open a lot of walls

Reach4

Reaction score
Why not the inverted V? Are you thinking it is against your code, or you suspect it will not work well?

If you do go through the roof, you will probably involve a roofer. Plumbing vent flashing is like a special shingle.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Why not the inverted V? Are you thinking it is against your code, or you suspect it will not work well?

If you do go through the roof, you will probably involve a roofer. Plumbing vent flashing is like a special shingle.
Maybe its not roofed or he is re roofing soon

DIYorBust

Reaction score
I have read, possibly on this forum, that an up and then down vent pattern can cause the accumulation of lighter than air gasses at the top, methane perhaps? Can you vent it near the top and lower one branch?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks