Kitchen Strainer Ring Removal

Users who are viewing this thread

DW85745

Reaction score
I guess I haven't been eating my Wheaties.
This strainer ring (stainless steel sink) appears to have been leaking some time and is really on there.
I can try and cut it off, but someone recommended heating it with a torch for a minute or two and it would come off.
Biggest concern I have, is what that heat may do to the sink itself?

Anyone tried a torch, or best suggestion on what they use (e.g. hack saw, Dremel, Multi_Tool ?

DW85745

Reaction score
Mr. Young thanks for responding.
This is the Non Basket type where the nut is tight (other than seal) to bottom of the sink
Because of drop on kitchen cabinet hard to get sawsall in.
Was just curious whether a torch would be quicker and save a bit of a mess (metal shavings)
Two concerns is melting rubber seal or damaging sink (don't plan to get it that hot, but don't want to buy someone a sink either).

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A small hacksaw blade, they make one that is smaller that is likely to fit.

milwaukee-compact-hack-saw.jpg

Also good for trimming closet bolts on toilet installations.

And it times I cut from the top side, making cuts where I can collapse it inward until the nut falls off.

sink-basket-removal-1.jpg

old-baslet-torn-out.jpg

And this one came out with pliers.

labeled_drain_assembly.jpg

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I wouldn't use the torch and realize its just to heat it a little , so why not give it a try let us know if you like your method if it works good I'll add it to my notebook!

DW85745

Reaction score
THE BEST I FOUND:
Remembered my Father always contended vibration works great for stuck bolts.
So took the multi-tool and used the blade on its side, NOT the cut end and vibrated the ring.
Worked like a charm. Broke those deposits loose., Ring came right off with little effort.
I guess us old guys are still good for something!

HTH

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
good idea I don't have multi tool they are handy though hence the name Multi Tool

DW85745

Reaction score
I find Multi-Tool works great for subfloors just over the floor joints, as you can control the depth better sawsall.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks