Kitchen sink virtually clogged need help any ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread

poosh123

Reaction score
I bought a place(2 story townhouse with basement) that was built in the 70's a few months back and just a couple of months ago started having problems with the kitchen sink.

The Situation:
I have a small kitchen and there is only one sink with a garbage disposal attached below it. Basically it is "virtually" clogged as the water backs up when I turn on the faucet or operate the dish washer but... as soon as I turn on the garbage disposal it forces the water down the sink and then there is always some "back flow" (some water comes back up) as I turn the garbage disposal off.

Things I have Tried:
1. cleaning the "trap" under the sink (i found nothing in it)
2. using a plunger
3. using "Instant Power Drain Opener" (home depot guy recommended it and said to run 2 cups of water right afterward i used the chemical since i was pouring it into a sink with a garbage disposal)

Anyways... nothing has worked yet ... so i'm debating buying a snake or checking the roof for a vent (i'm not sure i have one) or just calling the plumber...

any suggestions???

Thanks,

Gary

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
Shine a light down into the disposer. It might be time to replace it. It would be nice to bypass the disposer and pour water down the drain and see if it still happens.

poosh123

Reaction score
Shine a light down into the disposer. It might be time to replace it. It would be nice to bypass the disposer and pour water down the drain and see if it still happens.

perhaps ... although so another point i should include is that when i took some pipes apart under my sink to try to clean out the trap... i ran water down the sink, past the garbage disposal and into a pan ... so i'm not sure that is the issue since it didn't clog

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Well then that tells you the clog is further down than you can reach.
You need a plumber to clean the drain!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks