Kitchen sink venting?

Users who are viewing this thread

Potatoes

Reaction score
Hello. We recently removed drywall from water damage done to a laundry room and kitchen. Both the laundry room and kitchen are on the first level of a raised ranch home. The kitchen sink does not have vent close to the p-trap. The kitchen drain connects to the laundry room sink where there is a vent. However the kitchen sink and its p-trap is about 10 feet from the laundry room sink. This is a family member's home and I have never personally ran the kitchen sink so I comment on whether there was any issues at all. I will say that the kitchen has been there for over 25 years.

Is the current kitchen sink drain and venting style appropriate?

I assume that the kitchen sink drain is technically using a "wet vent" until it reached the laundry room sink. I have attached an image showing the laundry room. In the picture the kitchen sink is not shown but you can see the pvc drain coming from the right and running past the laundry room sink and water meter.

68350718582__C2AD1D1D-B195-455E-B0A6-0E6799516EE9.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'd replumb it poor workmanship plastic still is cheap to buy few hundred bucks will get it right

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
The kitchen sink drain has no vent, so no, not appropriate.

There's a whole lot of issues going on there. Its good that they have at least a 2" drain which can carry up to 8 Drainage Fixture Units or DFU's. That needs to be extended all the way to the kitchen sink. Where each fixture connects to that lower drain, the fittings should be "long sweep tees" or WYE fittings. A vent should be extended over to the kitchen sink and installed similar to how the vent is installed for the laundry sink. The pipe and the fittings should be the same material, either PVC pipe and fittings or ABS pipe and fittings, not a mixture.

Clothes washer = 3 DFU
Laundry sink = 2 DFU
Kitchen sink = 2 DFU

Total of 7 DFU on that 2" drain that we can see.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Any sink needs a vent nearby. Where "nearby" means "before the sink drain falls more than one pipe diameter from the trap outlet." So for jurisdictions using the IPC (which I think includes IL?), for a 1-1/2" trap that means within 6', if the trap arm is falling at precisely the minimum 1/4" per foot.

If you don't have a vertical dry vent in the wall behind the kitchen sink (that's the more relevant picture), then install an AAV under the kitchen sink (assuming you are under the IPC).

Cheers, Wayne

Potatoes

Reaction score
Are you interchanging black ABS and PVC using green transition cement? It looks like that is permitted in Illinois plumbing code. https://www.ilga.gov/commission/jcar/admincode/077/077008900C03400R.html

Most codes limit the use of the transition cement.
I haven't run or changed any drains to date. I find it odd that whoever did the original install interchanged materials when obviously pvc was available then. That's good to know. I would use pvc if I change anything going forward unless it wasn't necessary. I will also snap a picture of the kitchen area as well. Thanks!

Potatoes

Reaction score
Any sink needs a vent nearby. Where "nearby" means "before the sink drain falls more than one pipe diameter from the trap outlet." So for jurisdictions using the IPC (which I think includes IL?), for a 1-1/2" trap that means within 6', if the trap arm is falling at precisely the minimum 1/4" per foot.

If you don't have a vertical dry vent in the wall behind the kitchen sink (that's the more relevant picture), then install an AAV under the kitchen sink (assuming you are under the IPC).

Cheers, Wayne
Thanks. I am not sure what code unincorporated Lombard Illinois falls under. Here is the picture of the plumbing in the kitchen.

Attachments

• BDC10828-132E-4C40-A631-C63D6D04E7A5.jpeg
    BDC10828-132E-4C40-A631-C63D6D04E7A5.jpeg
    101.8 KB · Views: 144

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'd still recommend total gut of waste vent and water piping . to me its unethical to bury tha poor work with lipstick and pass it on to someone else , and if you are keeping the house then its just not a smart way to spend money the walls are open so gut it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks