Kitchen sink venting under a window

Users who are viewing this thread

Serkan

Reaction score
I have a venting dilemma I am trying to solve without getting into the next cabinet space using longer trap arm.

This is a 2x4 load bearing wall. The window opening is 54". There are 3 king studs and 1 jack stud on each side of the window. *No drilling into the studs.

I am planning to have the vent pipe going with an angle to the available bay next to the window. It will go thru the cabinet next to the sink.

The problem is I am not able to reach into the available bay with 45 degree elbow for the vent.

Solution is to use 60 degree elbow but i know code wants vertical (not less than 45) until 6" above flood level.

Is this allowed? Would there be any problems with vent clogging in the future? (There is no inspection)

Here is a diagram to understand better:

-Pink pipe is 45 degrees
-Green pipe is 60 degrees

kitchen sink 60degree and 45 degree.png

Reach4

Reaction score
Alternative is to go horizontally over to the sanitary tee.

Attachments

• img_3.png
    img_3.png
    10.2 KB · Views: 199

Serkan

Reaction score
Alternative is to go horizontally over to the sanitary tee.
Never thought about this one, thanks. I guess this would be the code compliant method.

The 60 degree looks cleaner and takes less space in the cabinet but will it give problems down the road, let's say 20 years. What are the chances of these vent pipes clogging.

Does the vent pipe gets filled with water when the kitchen sink is filled and plug is opened to drain?

Reach4

Reaction score
Does the vent pipe gets filled with water when the kitchen sink is filled and plug is opened to drain?
Yes.

The clog under a kitchen is often where the drain pipe transitions from vertical to horizontal.

What is beneath the floor? A basement or nice crawlspace? If so, there may be another possibility: put the trap under the floor. US codes mostly don't allow that, but I think Canada is more permissive in that way.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks