Kitchen Sink Trap - Inspection Cap or Blank Molding?

Users who are viewing this thread

Calman

Reaction score
Hi folks!

Amateur at the plumbing game and would like to ask a question regarding slow draining from kitchen sink recently. I am guessing it's simply a gunged up trap, so I have attached a photo of the base of the trap itself and would like to ask if the cap in the photo is actually threaded or simply a molding blank?

It may sound like a stupid question, but I would rather ask the experts before attempting to turn something and at worst, break the trap!!

(skewed iPhone angle from underneath the trap)
IMG_0571.JPG

Any help or input welcomed.

All the best,
Cal :)

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
I wish you had a side picture, but it looks like a threaded cleanout.
Out here we use traps with slip joints.

Calman

Reaction score
Many thanks for the replies ... really appreciate it!!!!

This is VERY old plumbing, so the vertical is threaded "slip joist" and the horizontal is a glued trap connection. I will keenly look at this inspection/cleanout nut in the morning, so thanks again for the advice and re-assurance. The last thing I wanted to do, was overstress the trap, but feeling more confident to address the issue in the AM.

All the best,

Calman

Reaction score
Update:

Well, the little project was a complete success!!! .... so thanks to everyone for their help & support, I really appreciate it.

As you mentioned, it was indeed a threaded cleanout cap and did unscrew with ease (makes a nice change). I used extended long nose thin pliers to remove the debris. Of course, what came out of that hole was pretty disgusting and carried a complimentary aroma too!!! (a short cocktail straw and PILES of Gunge/Hair and Sludge). Every moment I thought the trap was clear, another collection came along!!! lol

Anyway, all clear now and both sinks draining in luxury fashion.

Cheers to ALL.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks