Kitchen Sink to Basement Bath Wet Vent

Users who are viewing this thread

wrench187

Reaction score
I'm in the middle of a kitchen remodel which will tie into the basement bathroom plumbing. My question is regarding the 2" waste from the 1st floor kitchen sink to the basement plumbing. Can the 2" waste line from the sink act as a wet vent for the basement shower and toilet? Or do I need to run a separate (dedicated) vent from the basement bathroom group up to the VTR? Please reference the attached sketch. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20160816_215245_resized.jpg
    20160816_215245_resized.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 1,525

wrench187

Reaction score
Thanks for the definitive direction. So with that said, I assume I'll need to run an independent vent from the basement bathroom group up to the first floor and then to the VTR - is that accurate?

Then I assume I can make the vent connection at the first floor, 6" min above the kitchen sink - is that accurate?

I appreciate the input from the pros!

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
It would tie in at a minimum of 6 inches above the flood level rim of the highest trap or trapped fixture . So if that is the sink, yes.

wrench187

Reaction score
Can the basement shower and toilet vent be combined and use a single vent up to the first floor? They're approx within 4' to 5' of each other. The basement lav is on a different wall and will have a separate vent that ties into the VTR at the attic

Will the attached sketch be compliant with typical plumb practices?

Attachments

• W&V DIAGRAM.jpg
    W&V DIAGRAM.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 1,564

wrench187

Reaction score
Here's a shot of the first floor. I'm working with a fairly tight stud cavity for the vent and drain space - can the waste and vent be next to each other like it's shown in the photo?

Attachments

• 20160817_212716_resized.jpg
    20160817_212716_resized.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 1,213

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Neither the shower or the toilet would be vented.

The waste and vent pipe can be alongside each other, but it matters where and how you vent the traps.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Just putting a pipe between the waste line in the floor and the vent riser upstairs does NOT make it a "vent". In order to be a vent it has to be connected to the drain lines properly. You have unvented toilet and shower AND a "decorative" pipe riser.

wrench187

Reaction score
Thanks all for the input! I have created another diagram - Any input would be greatly appreciated! At the shower I understand I'll need to tie the vent into the arm past the trap, but before the main line. The WC goes directly from the toilet flange into the main 3" waste - there is no arm. I'm not sure how to vent the WC properly if there is no branch arm to vent. I'm at a loss for the waste and vent for the kitchen sink - any direction would be a huge help. Thanks in advance for your experience and guidance!

Attachments

• W&V DIAGRAM REV1.jpg
    W&V DIAGRAM REV1.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 1,220
Last edited:

wrench187

Reaction score
The point where I'm getting tripped up is that my vent stack needs to occur in middle of the basement bathroom group. Can the vent stack be feasible in the middle of the basement bath group?

Attachments

• W&V DIAGRAM REV2.jpg
    W&V DIAGRAM REV2.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 1,176

wrench187

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm back at it, and determined to get this right! Hopefully with the help of you experts out there. I have attached another diagram, but not sure if this is correct (venting and kitchen waste). Also how would one go about the areas where the vent has to cross the waste lines? Especially for a 3.5" stud wall? I'm not able to move the kitchen vent/waste to the side any further, so I need to bring the kitchen waste down as soon as it passes the window jamb. Thanks again

Attachments

• W&V DIAGRAM REV3.jpg
    W&V DIAGRAM REV3.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 1,176

wrench187

Reaction score
I hoping these pics may help describe the situation I'm working with. I plan to furr out the basement walls for finishing, but the existing 3" branch waste is approx 15" from the foundation wall and about 8-9" away from the footing. It's a pretty tight squeeze to get all the shower trap and venting routed up into the framing. Have you guys seen this as a typical install?

Attachments

• 20160813_154835.jpg
    20160813_154835.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 1,065
  • 20160813_201811.jpg
    20160813_201811.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 1,036

wrench187

Reaction score
Here's a better diagram of my proposed W/V - couple questions:
1. is this going to work?

2. Can I reduce the size of vent between floors? I'd like to use all 1 1/2" pipe above the floor joists due to the exterior wall only being 3 1/2". Given the width of the rim joist ( 1 1/2") that only leaves me with 2" - but that would put the pipe right at the face of framing, which I'm not sure is allowed. Using 1 1/2" would buy me 1/2" to play with.

3. the WC vent line - if using 2" vent I may need to move the vent line / 3" waste connection further down stream to say w/in the 42" max where it ties into the shower vent. How far from the WC can the vent line connection be?

Thanks

Attachments

• W&V DIAGRAM REV4.jpg
    W&V DIAGRAM REV4.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 1,223

wrench187

Reaction score
Hi all,
Here's where I'm at with things - any comments or punches in the nose would be appreciated.
One thing to note - I'm some what forced to take the kitchen waste and vents up at the locations shown. These are the locations where I need to come up through the first floor to avoid window framing and stairs above.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20160904_133738.jpg
    20160904_133738.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 1,049
  • 20160904_133717-MU.jpg
    20160904_133717-MU.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 1,090

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Run the 2" kitchen waste line below grade, to a point further downstream before tying it into the main line. Install cleanouts in the line(s) in the wall above the point where they penetrate the floor.

The vent take-offs should be wyes rolled up 45 degrees, not sanitary tees. No part of the dry vent(s) can fall below 45 degrees in slope below grade.

wrench187

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions! What does moving the kitchen waste downstream do for the system? More room to slope line below grade?
I'd like to get a cleanout in there somewhere - probably near or above the toilet space. The space to the left of the toilet will be a tiled shower.

I have run wyes rolled up to 45 on both the shower vent and WC vent. But a portion of the WC will have a slight slope but be near horizontal. I cant think of any other way to get it over to that stud bay while being upstream from the kitchen wye

I appreciate it-thanks

Attachments

• 20160904_195357_ed.jpg
    20160904_195357_ed.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 1,186
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks