Kitchen sink supply stub out. Wall VS Floor

Users who are viewing this thread

Mark Melton

Reaction score
I have a kitchen down to the studs. I am going to be getting new cabinets and I am wondering if there is any advantages to running the water supply lines for the sink through the floor? Below the floor is very accessible via crawlspace. I am thinking that if there ever is a leak that it will be much easier to repair since i can access everything from below, vs having to tear out drywall and possibly messing up new cabinets. Also this wall is an exterior wall and i am a bit concerned with freezing. winters get below freezing for many days.

Also while i have everything down to the studs, is there anything that needs to be looked at or checked on while i have it down to such a accessible state? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
It is easier to install the cabinet when the pipes stick out of the wall. There is more room in the cabinet when the supply pipes and the drain stick out of the wall. It is easier to clean the bottom of the cabinet when the pipes stick out of the wall. Do a great job with the plumbing so you never have to worry about a leak. Quality pays off in the long run.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It really doesn't matter...I'd opt for the floor, as an exterior wall can be problematic if there's any air leak or marginal insulation. It is harder to get the holes in the right place when you come up from below, but it's not rocket science. WIth a long drill bit, you can drill them and add the pipe after the cabinet is installed, too. Harbor Freight has some 2' bits for not much money that can come in handy.

Widgit Maker

Reaction score
Also this wall is an exterior wall and i am a bit concerned with freezing. winters get below freezing for many days.
That mean you must run the supply lines up through the floor. Or you must take unusual efforts to prevent freezing, like insulating and then putting in a false interior wall.

While your supply lines must come up through the floor to avoid freezing, you drain line must come in from the wall through the back of the cabinet to avoid creating a "S" trap. Plumb your drain line out the wall. Cut a hole in the back of the cabinet for the drain. Sit the cabinet in place. Drill down through the floor of the cabinet and through the kitchen floor. Drop a couple pieces of copper or CPVC pipe through the floor and connect to the water supplies from the crawl space .

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks