Kitchen Sink Supply Lines

Users who are viewing this thread

yfstafford

Reaction score
I recently moved into a 1950's house and was planning on replacing the old faucet in the kitchen myself. I'm by no means handy but thought it might be relatively straight forward. However, perhaps because it is an older house, it does not seem to have a typical set up.

Looking at the pipes underneath the sink, it looks like of the two supply lines, one goes to a shut off valve while the other goes straight through the bottom of the cabinet. I know that there's typically a shut off valve to both hot and cold supply lines but is this a common setup for older houses? I've been told that the electric work on the house is weird. FWIW, apart from the main shut off valve, this is the only other one I know of in the house - none of the other sinks and toilets have shut off valves.

20200714_161026.jpg

What would be the best way for me to connect the supply lines for my new faucet? Is this a job that will probably need a plumber?

20200711_212244.jpg 20200711_212010.jpg

On another note, any idea what the white box on the pipe might be for? It does not appear to be connected to anything.

Thanks for any and all help.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can add some straight stops to the 1/2" copper lines there with 3/8" comp outlets which take the supply lines from a new faucet.
A small mini cutter works to cut the copper lines.

sharkbite-straight-stop.jpg

This one is a Sharkbite push connect, but you can also use a compression stop and snug it on with a wrench and pliers.

Helper Dave

In the Trades
Reaction score
A lot of older houses lack shut-offs at fixtures. So, if you want to do this yourself, grab some of the ones Terry mentioned (I'd recommend the compression fittings). There's lots of different brands, but 1/4 turn is the way to go. You'll obviously have to turn your water off at the main, and drain it out of the lines at one of your lowest sinks in the house. That'll avoid an unwanted shower.

A little 1/2 inch pipe cutter will do the best job of cutting the pipe (most new sink supplies are quite long, so trim off a good bit if you can). Keep in mind, you'll need enough pipe after any fitting to slip the stop on. A de-burring tool (there's various kinds) will clean the pipe up for a good connection to the stop.

Not a terribly difficult job. Just takes the right tools, and a little sense. Good luck.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks