Kitchen Sink Strainer Leaks

Users who are viewing this thread

NormR

Reaction score
Hi I have a Franke 33 X 22 stainless double sink, installed by a local plumber. The left strainer leaked. He returned and reinstalled with new plumbers putty and new under the sink gaskets. He said this was a lousy setup, the strainers came from Franke, the new gaskets are after market. The strainer is slightly off center to the sink seat, perhaps the plumbing needs a little adjustment. The strainer is a standard strainer with a 3.5 in nut compressing the gasket. It is tight. There is water seeping by the gasket and sink. The right sink is just fine. There is no garberator.
My question, is there a better basket system, since the plumber says this one is "lousy" but didn't offer an explanation other than to say running differnt temperatuers one after the other shocks the putty and allows it to leak.
I really don't want this "jouneyman" back, I'd rather do it myself. Any abvice would be more rhan welcome
Thanks Norm

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
leak

He doesn't know how to install the drain. You put the putty around the flange, push the drain into the opening, then remove the excess putty UNDERNEATH the sink so the turn pushes against the sink and not the putty. If you do not do this the nut tightens against the putty, but then it squeeszes out and causes the leak.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks