Kitchen sink still leaks

Users who are viewing this thread

rmolina723

Reaction score
Hey all,

I bought a Moen single handle with pull out sprayer about a year and a half ago and it started to leak after about six months. I replaced the cartridge and it stopped the leak but started leaking again about a month later.

I called Moen and they sent me a brand new unit and after six months it started leaking again. I got another cartridge and it was fine for another 3-4 weeks and now it is leaking again through the floor to the basement.

Any idea what can be causing this? I've heard only good things about Moen and a neighbor has had theirs for about 10 years with no issues. I don't know if I should go out and buy another faucet if that's not the issue. Should I call a plumber?

Thanks,
Drew

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Are you on well water? Do you have a water softener? Perhaps there is a lot of calcium in your water causing buildup in the fixtures.

rmolina723

Reaction score
Thanks Mike, we are in the suburbs of Chicago and use Lake Michigan water. We do not have a water softener. Would it be a good idea to have our water tested?

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I got another cartridge and it was fine for another 3-4 weeks and now it is leaking again through the floor to the basement.
A problem cartridge could leak water into the sink, but not through the floor. What makes you think that the faucet is the problem?

You should try to track where the leak is coming out. Tie a cloth or paper towel around lines etc to see what gets wet.

Don't bother getting your Lake Michigan water tested. It's about 7.5 grains of hardness.

JRC3

Reaction score
Sure it's not splatter leaking from the top sink deck down under the faucet? I don't care what the manufacturer says about installation and nearly always go old school with plumbers putty.

rmolina723

Reaction score
A problem cartridge could leak water into the sink, but not through the floor. What makes you think that the faucet is the problem?

You should try to track where the leak is coming out. Tie a cloth or paper towel around lines etc to see what gets wet.

Don't bother getting your Lake Michigan water tested. It's about 7.5 grains of hardness.

The leak goes under the sink and because of all the water, it eventually goes through the floor into the basement ceiling. Once I replace the cartridge, the leak stops completely but only for a few weeks and then I have to replace the cartridge again.

rmolina723

Reaction score
Sure it's not splatter leaking from the top sink deck down under the faucet? I don't care what the manufacturer says about installation and nearly always go old school with plumbers putty.

It leaks in the base of the faucet but drips down to the tubes underneath.

rmolina723

Reaction score
Could it be water pressure that keeps causing the cartridge to fail or is it usually water hardness?

Reach4

Reaction score
When you replaced the faucet, did that include new hoses? I am wondering if the drip is not coming down a cold or hot connection rather than up where the waters join.

Pressure? While that seems unlikely, it might be worth getting a pressure gauge with a garden hose thread. That can attach at a laundry tap, outside if it is warm out, or the drain on the WH. In particular, check the pressure 1/2 hour after your shower and you have not been using water since. They are widely available.

rmolina723

Reaction score
When you replaced the faucet, did that include new hoses? I am wondering if the drip is not coming down a cold or hot connection rather than up where the waters join.

Pressure? While that seems unlikely, it might be worth getting a pressure gauge with a garden hose thread. That can attach at a laundry tap, outside if it is warm out, or the drain on the WH. In particular, check the pressure 1/2 hour after your shower and you have not been using water since. They are widely available.

Yep, the whole unit had new hoses that attach. The drip comes from the base of the faucet and runs down both hoses. Thanks for the advice with the pressure, I will check it out! Is that unlikely that it could be that? In that case, it's probably the water hardness then.

rmolina723

Reaction score
Also, whenever I replace the cartridge, the handle is more stiff. After a couple of weeks it becomes more loose so I think that's the cartridge wearing out.

Reach4

Reaction score
Yep, the whole unit had new hoses that attach. The drip comes from the base of the faucet and runs down both hoses. Thanks for the advice with the pressure, I will check it out! Is that unlikely that it could be that? In that case, it's probably the water hardness then.
I will say it is probably not the hardness. I can't imagine hardness, even 10x your hardness, causing that symptom.

If there was a wear-out thing going on, I would lube the seals with silicone grease before inserting the cartridge, but then I have silicone grease handy.

Have you been seeing signs of grit in your water system? Stuff in aerator screens? Sand in the bottom of your toilet tanks? I am not saying that grit would cause your symptoms, but hardness would not IMO.

Is there a water connection for a dishwasher or other water-using device at the sink?

Last edited:

rmolina723

Reaction score
I will say it is probably not the hardness. I can't imagine hardness, even 10x your hardness, causing that symptom.

If there was a wear-out thing going on, I would lube the seals with silicone grease before inserting the cartridge, but then I have silicone grease handy.

Have you been seeing signs of grit in your water system? Stuff in aerator screens? Sand in the bottom of your toilet tanks? I am not saying that grit would cause your symptoms, but hardness would not IMO.

Is there a water connection for a dishwasher or other water-using device at the sink?

Yeah the hardness doesn't seem too bad that's why I'm not sure about investing in a water softener if it doesn't resolve the issue. I don't really see signs of it other than a ring around the toilet water that forms. Yes, there is a dishwasher connected but not directly to the unit. Ok thanks for the advice, I will try lubing with silicone grease first.

Reach4

Reaction score
Ok thanks for the advice, I will try lubing with silicone grease first.
I would do pressure gauge first. Click Inbox above.
If the pressure is OK, even after your shower, and you are confident the water is coming from the faucet, I would call the maker again and say the new one failed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks