Kitchen sink smell from non-disposer side

Users who are viewing this thread

Charlie Daniel

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a dual sink kitchen and there's a smell coming from the side without the disposer. I replaced all the piping underneath and a few weeks later the smell has returned. There seems to be "stuff" collecting at the non-disposer side of the baffled tee, but we never put anything down that side of the sink and we regularly rinse it out.

What do we think would be causing this smell and what can I do about it? Should I replace the pipe configuration with a sanitary tee that goes down from the non-disposer sink and into the outlet?

Thanks!

pics should be in the message with a red circle showing where the stuff collects but I'm new here, so I'm not sure if i did it right.

Attachments

• 20170212_192825.jpg
    20170212_192825.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 218
  • 20170212_192820.jpg
    20170212_192820.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 205

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
You have a faulty set up, that allows water to travel from one side to the other.

Search here for a diagram of the correct set up from Terry, then follow his example.

Stuff

Reaction score
I thought that center baffle Ts were ok? Sounds more like a backed up/slow drain issue.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
The end T should be rotated 90 degrees, the left sink drain shortened and into the top of the T, the GD into the center and bottom into the trap. It must be positioned that the GD discharge must go down.

Also, The corrugated drain hose, which I assume comes from the dish washer via the air gap is collecting food stuff. From the air gap to the GD a short solid rubber hose should be used without dips, so no left over food stuff gets trapped there.

Wait for Terry to post his simple to understand and easy to follow diagram.

Charlie Daniel

Reaction score
I suppose I should have mentioned that I don't know how it's supposed to be setup, but that this is how the plumber set it up when we bought the house and did some work in the kitchen. All I did was replace the piping in the same configuration. I did some research ahead of time and also thought that a baffle tee would be OK but maybe not (I'm certainly out of my element design-wise)?

dj2 thanks for your input, and I think you're saying i should indeed replace the setup with a configuration that has the left drain going straight down and the disposer going into the middle of a T. But I don't quite follow when you say that the the GD discharge must go down. Do you just mean that it should just angle down so it's flowing downhill toward the T?

Also good catch on the dishwasher drain. I can adjust it from the air gap so there's not a dip.

Is this the image from Terry you're referencing:

sink_dw.jpg

Thanks again

Charlie

rjbphd

In the Trades
Reaction score
I suppose I should have mentioned that I don't know how it's supposed to be setup, but that this is how the plumber set it up when we bought the house and did some work in the kitchen. All I did was replace the piping in the same configuration. I did some research ahead of time and also thought that a baffle tee would be OK but maybe not (I'm certainly out of my element design-wise)?

dj2 thanks for your input, and I think you're saying i should indeed replace the setup with a configuration that has the left drain going straight down and the disposer going into the middle of a T. But I don't quite follow when you say that the the GD discharge must go down. Do you just mean that it should just angle down so it's flowing downhill toward the T?

Also good catch on the dishwasher drain. I can adjust it from the air gap so there's not a dip.

Is this the image from Terry you're referencing:

sink_dw.jpg

Thanks again

Charlie

Reach4

Reaction score
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks