Kitchen Sink slow drainage

Users who are viewing this thread

Questions1

Reaction score
My kitchen sink has been making gurgling sound with liquid soap for sometime after I am done with washing my dishes. Now since a week ago, The water would clog up . The kitchen sink basin has 2 sides but it is one kitchen sink basin. I wash on right side and on the left side would fill up with water slowly and it would also drain slowly. I had a plumber that I know come to check for a free opinion and he tells me since it is draining slowly, it could be the pipe down the line and that I should try to get my condo association fix it. He told me IF I want to fix this,he can bring a big machine to do some work in my kitchen but would cost me $150. I called my condo association and they told me they haven't had anyone calling them about similar issue and they recently did some work on pipe in basement. I remember our parking lot being closed for 2 days for some pipe work but I don't know if the association is telling the truth on whether my kitchen slow drainage is not related to some pipes down somewhere. What do you pros think about this? If I pay him and he brings the machine or whatever to flush out whatever dirt is in my kitchen sink pipe, will this get rid of the gurgling sound and slow drainage issue? If yes, I will hire him to to fix this. I also have slow drainage in one of the bathroom sink and want the stoppers replaced anyway. In my kitchen sink basin I use the drainers on each basin hole so I can pick up the drainer after each dish washing and throw the leftover food in garbage can.

Thanks

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Anytime you can get a professional plumber to come to your home and accomplish something for less than $200, you are getting a pretty good deal.

Questions1

Reaction score
Anytime you can get a professional plumber to come to your home and accomplish something for less than $200, you are getting a pretty good deal.
The slow drainage in kitchen sink can be fixed in one visit? Does the plumber have to check out the main pipes be it in basement or where ever it is?
I live in a condo building with 18 units and mine is a 2bedroom condo built in 1970 I believe.
Thanks

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The problem could be under the sink or within a few feet of it. If the problem is in the main line, it becomes an issue for the condo association, as it would effect more than one unit.

Questions1

Reaction score
The problem could be under the sink or within a few feet of it. If the problem is in the main line, it becomes an issue for the condo association, as it would effect more than one unit.
I don't know if the problem is the main line, I called association to see if they will fix my slow kitchen drainage issue, they told me they can't tell and suggested i take care of the issue first myself. That means i have to shell out up to $150 to fix this in my kitchen sink.

Recently they put a notice and the closed our parking lot for 2 days. They did some work on some pipe cos we used to see some water in the middle of the parking lot. So they told me they already fixed some pipes on their part. Wonder if that had anything to do with slow drainage in my kitchen sink, They told me my problem couldn't be the main line cos they closed the parking lot and did some work

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ask your close neighbors (who might share the same main as you) if they experience something similar.

If they don't, then it will be a pretty good indicator that the blockage is in your drain. Refer to your HOA manual to determine who is responsible, but to me (without knowing all the facts), it looks like you.

Reach4

Reaction score
Can you identify the drain pipe coming down from your kitchen sink in the basement? I think kitchen drain blockages often occur where the drain pipe goes from vertical to horizontal.

Questions1

Reaction score
Okay the plumber came today and spent about hour and half, he replaced with new bathroom drain assembly including the stopper in both bathroom sinks. And also used a machine to suck all the dirty black water mixed with lots of hairs. He flushed down all the dirty hairs and water in toilet. I asked him if this won't clog the toilet, he said no , don't worry. One of the bathroom under sink is leaking very lightly, like one drop every 3 mins. He even suggested that might leak a drop and told me to call him if i see leakage. I did call him & he said he would stop by tomorrow.

He then used the same machine under the pipe in kitchen sink cabinet and now I don't have any drainage any more. He said the drainage is due to grease.

What do you guys think?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks