Kitchen Sink Plumbing problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Rich1006

Reaction score
I have a question. I have a problem with plumbing my kitchen sink. The wall drain is high....just under sink bottom. So by the time I connect both basins and then ptrap....i have a rise of like 12" give or take from ptrap to wall drain. Will this be an issue?

Reach4

Reaction score
Maybe. If you want a garbage disposal, it would be a problem for sure.

If not, measure more carefully. Are you comparing to the bottom of the drain basket, or are you comparing to the bottom of the sink tub?

Maybe get a level, and use that to see where the middle of your trap adapter altitude is with respect to the sink basket.

Rich1006

Reaction score
Maybe. If you want a garbage disposal, it would be a problem for sure.

If not, measure more carefully. Are you comparing to the bottom of the drain basket, or are you comparing to the bottom of the sink tub?

Maybe get a level, and use that to see where the middle of your trap adapter altitude is with respect to the sink basket.
I'm just wondering if the height from ptrap to wall drain is an issue. Will the water be able to drain? Is there a point at which the distance is too high and water will not drain?

Reach4

Reaction score
Is there a point at which the distance is too high and water will not drain?
So maybe I don't understand your question.

The question I was thinking you were asking is if your trap adapter is too high to work with your sink. For that, you need more info.... thus the bit about the level etc.

How about posting a photo, and better yet, have the level in the picture while it is being held level.

i have a rise of like 12" give or take from ptrap to wall drain. Will this be an issue?

I don't know what you are saying there. Water cannot pass through the P trap, and then rise 12 inches to the level of the trap adapter in the wall. I suspect that is not what you are asking. Please provide a photo or sketch.

If this is what you have in mind, no you cannot do this:
index.php

Last edited:

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Need more details, Rich. If you need to up the whole shebang a couple of inches to get things to function, BK makes a very shallow sink drain that will give you more vertical. It would take an effort of Satanic proportions to miss it by twelve inches.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
That won't work reliably and would not pass a code inspection.

The outlet from the trap CANNOT go up before it gets to the drain. While not something you want to hear, you need to tear into the wall and lower the connection so the trap arm can go straight without having to try to go uphill. The only thing that should be full after draining is the bottom of the p-trap...especially with the disposal, it will tend to clog. The disposal acts like a pump when on, and might overcome some symptoms, but just draining the sink won't go well.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
I second what jad is saying, you need to lower the connection in the wall, ideally to same height as the trap straight arm.

Reach4

Reaction score
Note: the photo was not from Rich1006. That was just a photo that I found that seemed to be closest to what Rich1006 seemed to be describing... trap adapter too high, and 12 inch high out of the P-trap. It would be nice if Rich1006 posted a photo of his actual situation. Maybe his situation is not quite as extreme. The picture he paints with words may not be as clear as he thinks it is.

Having a wye out of the wall to separate P-traps could be another solution, depending on the actual situation.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks