Kitchen sink p trap. One or two?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on the pros and cons of dual p-traps for a dual basin kitchen sink. I've looked at a lot of other people's set ups and the only thing I really learned to dislike at our last house was the baffle in the 90 on the output from the disposal where the line runs from horizontal to vertical, which seemed to be the weak link in occasional clogs since it reduced the effective inside diameter of the pipe by half or so.

I guess I'm also interested as to the benefits of running the disposal into its own trap and people's experience with that versus the more traditional single trap that accepts waste from the disposal and opposing sink. Also, is there any real benefit regarding clogs/scouring of the traps if one builds the trap itself out of 1.5" versus 2"? I would go back to 2" before entering the wall.

Note: We'll probably be doing a stainless farmhouse style dual basin sink with a disposer. There will be a dishwasher. The drain pipe is new 2" ABS stubbed out of the slab and a 2" vent is dropped down in the wall next to the window over the sink. It's all new so I can build whatever I want there within reason and code.

Thoughts?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A working disposer, one eight years or younger has no problem chipping up small bits that pass easily. An old worn disposer no longer does a good job in that way.
If the equipment is in working order, the baffle tee isn't an issue.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks