Kitchen sink P trap leaks

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Tlhfirelion, Aug 15, 2020.

1. Tlhfirelion

Tlhfirelion Member

Hello. New kitchen sink install. I used an older P trap I had laying around and it leaked at the same spot. I figured it was just old so I bought a new one. It’s leaking at the same spot.
    (See pic where the level is pointing too)

I figured it was loose so I hand tightened it as hard as I could. That helped. Well, came back to check it 10 minutes later and the floor is wet again. So, like any good DIY’er, I grabbed my trusty old pliers and put the gear of God Into it. That helped more. Come back 10 minutes later and it’s still leaking. If I crank on it anymore I’m sure it’ll break and I knew before hand that wasn’t the answer.

I am gonna assume that the issue is not the 2 P trap’s but something I am doing incorrectly that is causing this issue. Any direction or advice?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Attached Files:

2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    Looks like an S trap there. Normally I would expect to see an AAV for venting there.
    No hose clamp on the dishwasher hose. Surprised that isn't leaking.

Sylvan likes this.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

Sylvan likes this.
  4. Tlhfirelion

Tlhfirelion Member

I’ve not put the hose clamp on yet, still trying to get this leak fixed but that will be done.
    What do you mean AAV?
    Thank you for the reply.

5. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    An Auto Air Vent breaks the siphon so that the p-trap doesn't siphon itself empty and lose the water seal that prevents sewer gas into the home.

Here is one below for a bathroom sink.

[​IMG]

Normally the drain for the kitchen sink would be coming from the wall with the venting going through the roof.

[​IMG]

Here is a kitchen sink using an AAV on the drain from the wall, used if they didn't have the vent in the wall going up. Normally I see this on an Island where you don't have a wall to go up in.

[​IMG]

6. Tlhfirelion

Tlhfirelion Member

Thanks for the detailed reply. My kitchen sink does have a vent thru the roof, it’s tied into the laundry room vent which you can’t obviously see in my pic. Do I still need the air vent under the sink as well? How can I best address the leaking issue I am having? Thank you.

7. Sylvan

Sylvan Still learning

plumbing - fire suppression - boiler inspector
    If your tied into a real vent then you do not need to use a cheater vent

Tlhfirelion and Jeff H Young like this.
  8. gagecalman

gagecalman Member

Can you post a picture from a different angle with the level removed? Can't see how that's connected.

Tlhfirelion likes this.
  9. Jeff H Young

Jeff H Young In the Trades

poor workmanship. no vent I think you should adress the vent issue

10. Tlhfirelion

Tlhfirelion Member

E19AF6FF-5206-4F92-8140-3C477FF8832E.jpeg 8BFD6DFD-B8FE-4F46-98A2-BC118993B575.jpeg

11. Tlhfirelion

Tlhfirelion Member

the issue is that this connection keeps leaking, thank you for your reply. . 9C55F85B-7E2C-4030-AABB-9C662580FCAA.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
  12. dj2

dj2 In the Trades

There's a chance you misthreaded the nut in your circle. It's easy to do when you are working up from down under...
    Take the nut off, check the thread on the elbow. Wrap some white tape on the thread - it something that doesn't have to be done normally - and see if it helps.
    Are you right handed? If yes, do it with your right hand. Then tighten with a plumbers or adjustable wrench (not your pliers) while holding the elbow with your other hand firmly.

Tlhfirelion likes this.
  13. gagecalman

gagecalman Member

You definitely have a S-trap and it should be addressed. Take a look at post #4.

Tlhfirelion likes this.
  14. Tlhfirelion

Tlhfirelion Member

I started over and followed your directions exactly and it appears to have fixed the leak. I ran water for 10 Minutes and saw no more leaks.

thank you, sir, for your help and solution!

15. Tlhfirelion

Tlhfirelion Member

I am a bit confused over something. What is the drawback to an S trap vs P? I may have misunderstood but I read that if I am vented thru the roof, I don’t need to add the AVV or change my set up. Thank you for your assistance.

16. gagecalman

gagecalman Member

S-traps can suck the water out of the trap as the water flows down the drain.
    The trap arm should not go down until it is vented.
    If there is a roof vent it does nothing for the kitchen drain.

Tlhfirelion likes this.
  17. Jeff H Young

Jeff H Young In the Trades

The issue is that the vent thru roof dosent accomplish its purpose in an s trap situation.

Tlhfirelion likes this.
  18. Tlhfirelion

Tlhfirelion Member

Ahh, ok. Now I get it. So I guess I get to remove what’s there and redo it?

19. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member