Kitchen sink not draining correctly

Users who are viewing this thread

IDrawOnTape

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So I have a double sink, no garbage disposal, in my kitchen. Monday or Tuesday I was cleaning a pan, not thinking at all and a bunch of quinoa went down the drain past the stopper's grating since it's so small.
Yesterday the sink started draining slowly, eventually not draining at all. I tried a plunger, vinegar and baking soda, eventually moving on to drano. Nothing works.
My dad came over and we checked things out. The trap had some gunk in it, but not enough to block it. We replaced the part after the trap, which is some flexible, accordion style pipe.
When that part isn't connected, the water flows through the trap and into a large bowl, no issues. connect the flex pipe and it flows fine at first, but then slowly fills up and drains very very slow. any advice?

Attachments

• 20170111_212842.jpg
    20170111_212842.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 96

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You many need to snake the line farther down. And also think about getting a new trap for that. You can trim the tailpiece shorter and get rid of the funky accordion.

IDrawOnTape

Reaction score
You many need to snake the line farther down. And also think about getting a new trap for that. You can trim the tailpiece shorter and get rid of the funky accordion.
Well I was gonna replace the trap part, but it's silicone glued in at the top.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
If they are siliconed together, replace them all.

With all new parts you can customize your drain, and you won't need to use the "funky accordion" connector, which is nothing more than a bacteria depot under the sink.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks