Kitchen Sink loop vent in wall above sink flood level w/ connection to main stack below flood level

Users who are viewing this thread

Richard978

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am looking to vent a kitchen sink that doesn't have easy access to the existing vent system. I understand diagram B in the attached image is code for a loop vent as they are typically used in kitchen island where the loop is directly below the counter. In my situation the loop vent would be in a wall and could go above the sink's flood elevation. My question is would the system in diagram A be acceptable as the loop is above the flood elevation at the sink but the actual vent connection to existing main stack is below in the basement?

Attachments

• Capture - Copy.JPG
    Capture - Copy.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 260

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Other than the issue Terry cited, either A or B would be fine for a loop vent. The connection from vent to drain occurs at the low point of the vent; after that point, the vent just has to follow the usual vent rules (other than the height of the horizontal segment), so it can rise up before hitting the main stack.

But the main question is whether you can get approval for a loop vent for a sink that isn't on an island. Lack of easy access may not be sufficient justification for the loop vent; you may have to just do it the normal, hard way.

Cheers, Wayne

Richard978

Reaction score
Good catch. Yes, the wye would go in the flow direction. Opposite of what I drew. Thank you!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks