Kitchen sink drain modification from angled to straight

Users who are viewing this thread

haloguy628

Reaction score
Hi, I found this forum searching for solution to my problem. Great forum and excellent info.

I just replaced old iron cast double sink with SS one bowl sink. The problem is that the glued rough in drain plumbing is at an angle as it was aiming between the old two bowls. Now the drain is directly under the single sink drain hole and in the way of the garbage disposal. I am attaching two pics so you can see the setup. What I need is for the drain to sit at 90 degrees to the wall (straight out).

I am open to any and all ideas including calling plumber if the job is too complex. Thanks.

Drain-1.jpg Drain-2.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
cutting the street 45 flush with the tee and using a "fitting saver" drill bit is about the only option, and WHO installed a second riser and trap for the dishwasher? That will probably overflow when the disposer has a heavy load of water in it. And by so doing they eliminated a "necessary" cleanout opening.

haloguy628

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. There is cleanout opening below the DW riser.

As for the sink drain. I believe I can save the situation by cutting the straight pipe going out of the 45 elbow and gluing new trap adapter. Then there will be enough space to use 90 elbow going horizontal and then another 90 going down that will connect to the trap connected to the disposal. What's your opinion?

As for the second DW riser. This is an island and the house was built in 2000. Would it be better if I connected the DW drain to the disposal using air-gap?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; then another 90 going down that will connect to the trap connected to the disposal.

I have no idea what that means, but if it means what you said your connection to the disposer will NOT be a very good one. Island sink, and/or 2000 it is immaterial, the dishwasher should NOT have been connected like that, and the only think that kept if from overflowing is that you did not have a disposer and the sink must never have plugged up and filled with water.

Last edited by a moderator:

haloguy628

Reaction score
Here's how I ended up connecting the drain. Once I cut the horizontal pipe and glued new trap adapter there was enough space to connect p trap directly to the down pipe from the disposer. Disregard the purple mess - this was my first plumbing job :)

hj - The drain was built this way in the original construction and passed code. The DW hose is inserted right below the counter and it appears that in CO air-gap may not be required (or at least was not required in 200 when the house was built). There was disposer installed from the beginning. I just replaced the old one with new more powerful model since I was changing the sink and faucet. It never overflowed and I am sure that there was a time when both the DW and the disposer were draining.

Drain-3.jpg Drain-4.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks