Kitchen Sink Drain Going Through Wall and Floor

Users who are viewing this thread

TripMcNeely

Reaction score
Hey all, first time poster and DIYer here looking for some advice. In the process of renovating my first house. Doing some updates in the Kitchen. Converting a double basin sink with garbage disposal and dishwasher to a single basin sink with dishwasher. However, I am a bit confused with how this drain is configured. As you can see from the picture the drain goes both into the wall and through the floor. I thought maybe the piece into the wall was some sort of direct vent (if that’s even a thing), but the pipe doesn’t appear to extend outside. Anyone have any advice on this type of configuration? It would be much appreciated.

46BD092B-DAAE-465D-9CDE-2E701940399B.jpeg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Normally the top would be the vent, and at some point through the roof. It can combine with other vents.
Standard practice is 2" and a 2" cleanout, and then the trap and the vent can be 1.5"

Is that double wye going straight into the wall?

TripMcNeely

Reaction score
Terry, thank you for the response. Sorry for the bad picture, but the double wye connects to the drain pipe towards the back side of the drain. Would the best way to convert this setup to a single drain be to replace the double wye with a single wye using one of the branches for the sink drain and one for the cleanout?

Reach4

Reaction score
Does the vertical yellowed pipe connect to anything between the floor and the wall?

Where is that left fork of the double wye going?

Is there another story or basement below this?

TripMcNeely

Reaction score
Does the vertical yellowed pipe connect to anything between the floor and the wall?

Where is that left fork of the double wye going?

Is there another story or basement below this?

The double wye is connected to the vertical pipe. It is just hard to see from the pictures.

There used to be a double sink with the left fork connected to one P Trap and the right fork connected to another P Trap.

The kitchen is on the first floor with a basement underneath.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks