Kitchen sink - doing it right

Users who are viewing this thread

jeffeg

Reaction score
After reading this forum, I finally figured out why water poured down the garbage disposer side backs up into the other side - the baffle is on the wrong side! See picture ks1. The drain coming out of the wall lines up on the garbage disposer side that makes this install the easiest as it lines up. Putting the baffle on the correct side makes it a little more difficult, see pics ks2a and ks2b. I haven't been to the parts store to see what's available and don't really know where to start. The garbage disposer should stay where it is (wife) and I really do not want to use an accordian fitting.

Do they make parts to solve my problem and what is the right way to do this?

thanks - Jeff

Attachments

• ks1.jpg
    ks1.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 254
  • ks2a.jpg
    ks2a.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 234
  • ks2b.jpg
    ks2b.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 251

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Just make sure the baffle points it the right way. You can flip the tee there.
I would aim the trap the easiest way. If that's toward the disposer then put it there.
You can also cut off some of the pipe coming from the disposer if you want to raise the tee some. And..........how old is that disposer? I normally replace them after eight years.

jeffeg

Reaction score
oh, the baffle can stay on the disposer side? Great! That solves that problem.

The arrow is pointing down, is that right? should it be up to limit the flow? I am confused....

I have a feeling the disposer is way beyond 8 years... probably 20+. I will be replacing it sometime, just not in the budget right now.

Maybe a little bit more info, the drain works fine with faucet water going down, it's when the dishpan gets dumped down the garbage disposer side ( a lot of water at once) is where the issue is, a little water comes up the other side. the wife has big issue with it. It happens to a greater effect with the disposal on. This has not happened in other houses and the wife is very upset about it.

thanks -Jeff

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
- The baffle tee (aka end tee) could be mounted on either side, preferably closer to the wall drain.
- Just make sure the gray disposer drain is secured correctly (I see a bolt sticking out at ks1) and the gasket inside is in good condition.
- If you have water coming up the second sink when you dump a lot of water into the disposer, you may have a blockage/partial blockage in the drain line. Snake the line, if necessary.
- Do everything in your power to make your wife happy (including calling a plumber), because: "If the wife ain't happy, ain't nobody happy - but if the husband ain't happy, ain't nobody cares".

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
[QUOTE="dj2, post: 511086, member: 59776] "If the wife ain't happy, ain't nobody happy - but if the husband ain't happy, ain't nobody cares".[/QUOTE]

The words of a married man with years of matrimonial experience. :D

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Sorry, but we have to cancel your "plumber's certificate". The baffle tee IS in correctly, your diagnosis is what is incorrect. IF pouring water down the disposer makes it come up in the other sink, the drain line is obstructed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks