Kitchen Sink basket/strainer/drain sizing question - 3 1/2"??

Users who are viewing this thread

wilson4

Reaction score
I need to replace my kitchen sink basket/strainer/drain with a new one. I'm not sure how these are sized. Mine is 3 1/4" across the hole opening, and 4" from outer lip edges. But most replacements I'm seeing online & in stores say 3 1/2" (or occasionally 3 1/2" - 4".) So my question is this: Are all sink basket/strainer/drains standard? Is there a way to make a 3 1/2" basket work in my sink? My house was built in 1993, so not horribly old. (I've seen them called all three - basket, strainer, and drain--so that's why I've listed it like that.) Thanks for the help.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
strainer

When both pieces are together it is a basket strainer drain. Otherwise it is just the basket/strainer or the sink drain fitting. Over the years, some manufacturers, such as Kohler, have made sinks with non-standard openings and then made drains to fit them. Then the stopped making both parts, making orphans of the ones already installed. Almost all modern sinks, including those of your era have an opening that the 3 1/2" strainer fits into. If yours does not, then you have two options since other size drains are not made. Either change the sink or grind the opening larger.

wilson4

Reaction score
Thanks for the answer. Maybe I'm confused on what's supposed to be 3 1/2". Is it the hole I see from uptop (what I show as 3 1/4"), or is it the hole that the strainer fits into that is predrilled when you buy the sink?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks