Kitchen Sink Backup

Users who are viewing this thread

JCann

Reaction score
Hi. My kitchen sink is backing up on both sides. Running the disposal doesn't help. The other side backs up like a volcano. I had a plumber out a week ago and he installed a new air flow device, everything seemed fine, he said I wouldn't have any more problems. For a week it was fine, now it's back with a vengeance. This all started when I recently had new countertops and dishwasher installed so my handyman had disconnected the plumbing. Upon reconnecting, he noticed backup. He tried different things, used a snake, said there was some straws and cat hair(?) in the drain. It got worse and worse, backing up in the dishwasher, creating an awful stench. That's when I called the plumber. So today I called the plumber back and the lady who makes the appointments said he couldn't get out here until Tuesday. The sink drains slowly so I can't use it much. Also, I don't put much food down the disposal, never have. I had tried everything -- hot water, draino, bleach, plunger, nothing works. Any ideas? Thank you.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Nothing but a good long plumber's power auger is needed and they can be rented. Don't waste anymore money on chemicals, especially bleach and Drano. Drano is only good for grease blocks since the lye creates heat but now a days of heavy grease and oil use for cooking is minimal. If you have PVC pipe, grease doesn't stick to it like cast iron and metal p-traps.

Lye can cause burns. Liquid Plumber and many other drain openers contain sulfuric acid and when mixed with bleach, pool chlorine or any other chlorine-based substance can create chlorine gas (as used in chemical warfare). ... It contains a chemical that can cause aspiration pneumonia if breathed in quantity.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Find a drain plumber, as your plumber may playing hard to get.
Drain plumbers only do drain cleaning and they have the equipment.
Don't go days without being able to use the sink.
One time I took care of a blockage so bad, that I ended up replacing a 7 foot section of pipe. And what was the blockage? garbage as hard as a rock.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks