Kitchen sink advice

Users who are viewing this thread

Rinoz

Reaction score
We need to replace a kitchen sink. Any advice on best brands or ones to stay away from. I don't know how old the current sink is, what brand it is, or what it's made out of, but I know it's at least 6-7 years old and whatever it's made out of is peeling away like crazy. When we remodeled some bathrooms, the contractor looked at our kitchen sink and was confused as to what material it was. Anytime we touch it, a piece of it chips off. It's gross. let's just say the kitchen sink looks better full of dishes than it does empty because it's impossible to clean with all those scaly grooves in there from all the chipping.

We currently have a drop in sink on a granite countertop. A friend recommended a Blanco granite composite sink. Any pros or cons to that? Saw a Blanco Diamond sink online that might fit well...

I think some sinks are both over and under mount? Is there a good one we could use over the current granite top for now, but also be able to use as an under mount later down the road if we decide to get new cupboards and countertops later on? That's not a huge concern, but if it saves us an extra step later on, then it's definitely a bonus.

We already have a Hansgrohe Cento faucet in the steel optik finish to install.

Need a garbage disposal too. Any tips on that shopping?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Blanco sinks are good, so are the stainless steel.
For disposers I use Insinkerator. I never have issues with Insinkerator.
I no longer install Wasteking or American Standard disposers.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you intend on using an undermount sink, once you get the existing one out, check the opening. It would be rare for them to polish the edges nor are there likely the means to anchor the sink properly. To look good, the size and shape needs to be pretty exact for the selected sink. That generally must be done at the fabricator's shop. Some of that can be done on site, but typically not by a homeowner without buying lots of specialized tools. So, your choices really are a new drop-in sink or pay someone a fair amount to try to install an undermount. I've not tried one of the fabricated granite sinks. A cast iron, glazed porcelain sink can last a very long time. There are lots of stainless steel sinks that are drop-in. You want a heavier gauge one. I've had good luck with Kindred stuff. WIth SS, they start to get more expensive the deeper they are, especially when their gauge is higher (less likely to get dented or warp). It's nice when there is factory applied sound proofing on a SS sink...a CI one is generally quiet.

Jadziedzic

Reaction score
We've had a Blanco composite sink in the kitchen for almost two years now; wife loves it, and it still looks great. Definitely would consider one again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks