Kitchen Remodel

Users who are viewing this thread

Mustang

Reaction score
Looking at replacing kitchen sink with new Stainless Steel dual sink. The tubs are actually deeper than present which causes a problem with existing drain lines. There does does not appear to be enough vertical distance [I](from where the line comes through the wall to the bottom of the sink)[/I]to add the trap and connections to sink.
What are some options here?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Tear into the wall and lower the fitting, or use a shallower sink. Water doesn't flow uphill...or if you can get it to, it doesnt' like it and you'll end up with clogs.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
There does does not appear to be enough vertical distance ...
What are some options here?

First, I would look at that very closely to see whether you really do have a dilemma. Unless your present sink is exceptionally shallow or the new one would be exceptionally deep, you might actually be okay as long as the connection at the wall is at all below the bottom of the new sink. You might have to add a part or two to the typical drain assembly to get things connected, but gravity can win even when the plumbing might merely look a little odd ... and if cutting into the wall and lowering the connection would be too difficult for some reason, you could always drain the sink into a small sump with a pump like sometimes used for bar sinks in basements.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Don't use a pump for this...think of the winter storm and the power is out...any tank and pump you might put in means you'll get maybe a gallon or so before thing fill up, and don't even think about using a garbage disposer.

After you get the tailpiece and trap on, it needs to only go either over straight to the wall or down from there. If the sink is too deep, either change the sink or change the drain in the wall.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
A pump would likely cost more to buy and install (with the power and plumbing), than doing this right. Gravity trumps all other choices when it is available...in our lifetimes, anyways, I don't think we'll be able to affect gravity. Plus, with a pump, you'll take up useful space under the sink...the wife won't like that. One more thing to maintain.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
A pump would likely cost more to buy and install (with the power and plumbing), than doing this right.

"Right", according to whom, and/or to what standard?! ;)

Plus, with a pump, you'll take up useful space under the sink...the wife won't like that. One more thing to maintain.

I am getting ready to install a kickspace heater and circulator pump under the kitchen sink, and my wife thinks that is a great idea ... but yes, then there will be more to maintain.

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
leejosepho said:
I am getting ready to install a kickspace heater and circulator pump under the kitchen sink, and my wife thinks that is a great idea ... but yes, then there will be more to maintain.

Do you have a separate drinking water faucet or a circulating line to the water heater, or are you putting hot water into your cold drinking water?

Jadnashua

Reaction score
I did a quick search for a bar sink pump - $200 and up, not counting installation, which may include wiring and plumbing. If you can't get your drain line fixed for that, find another plumber.

Gravity is your friend...extra stuff isn't.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Do you have a separate drinking water faucet ...

I plan to add one, and it will be filtered-only and not softened.

Do you have ... a circulating line to the water heater ...

That is the plan, and there will also be a 3-way valve so the dual-controlled pump can either warm the line to the faucet or supply the heater.

... are you putting hot water into your cold drinking water?

No, and the same will be true for another circulator pump at the other end of the house.

WestcoastPlumber

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.wcplumbing.biz
If you can lower the fitting, then lower the fitting, if you install a pump and the fitting can be lowered, it will not pass inspection.

Code requires all waste lines to be drained by gravity, unless structually not able too, and because your sink is too deep, does not mean structual conditions apply.

Use of a pump in this senerio would be non-code-compliant.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks