Kitchen Remodel Help

Users who are viewing this thread

Christopher Wilhite

Reaction score
The new kitchen sink will be centered on the middle window. The vent stack is located in the far right corner of the photo about 6 feet from where the sink will go. Because the new windows are taller than the old windows, I cannot get the vent pipe on a horizontal run that is at least 6" above the sink lid. How can I vent the new sink per code?

Attachments

• 13701.jpeg
    13701.jpeg
    63 KB · Views: 173

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You may want to go with an AAV on that one.
A lot of the new construction here is going that way on kitchen sinks. Make is accessible under the kitchen sink for replacement.
The other old school way would be an Island Vent with a foot vent to a place that will go up.

sink_dw.jpg

How most are done.

Last edited:

Christopher Wilhite

Reaction score
You may want to go with an AAV on that one.
A lot of the new construction here is going that way on kitchen sinks. Make is accessible under the kitchen sink for replacement.
The other old school way would be an Island Vent with a foot vent to a place that will go up.

I think I've heard that called a chicago vent. It's a 45 elbow, 90 elbow, another 45 elbow then down to the crawl space, like you would vent an island. I'm willing to do that as a last resort. Can I 45 degree from the trap and then tie into the vent stack 42" above the subfloor?

Christopher Wilhite

Reaction score
Thanks. Well the trap arm would be 6 feet long, so according to the code, 3" pipe? I would not have any stud left to carry the wall load. Does two 1.5" pipes side by side count as a 3" trap arm pipe? Probably not, but it sounds awesome.

Reach4

Reaction score
Thanks. Well the trap arm would be 6 feet long, so according to the code, 3" pipe?
Why 6 ft? Once it hits the vent, it is no longer a trap arm. See my drawing above.

Maybe get few more inches with the drain on the right.
thumb.php

Hang a garbage disposal, and let the trap be off to the right. Use a cabinet that will not stop that from happening.

I wonder if my drawing suggesting a wye with a 45 leg is OK, now that I think of it. A vent fitting would normally be tilted the other way. I suspect there is a similar solution that meets objections and objectives. I am not a plumber.

Last edited:

Christopher Wilhite

Reaction score
Why 6 ft? Once it hits the vent, it is no longer a trap arm. See my drawing above.

Maybe get few more inches with the drain on the right.
thumb.php

Hang a garbage disposal, and let the trap be off to the right. Use a cabinet that will not stop that from happening.

I wonder if my drawing suggesting a wye with a 45 leg is OK, now that I think of it. A vent fitting would normally be tilted the other way. I suspect there is a similar solution that meets objections and objectives. I am not a plumber.
Maybe this simple sketch will help illustrate the situation. The vent used to run beneath the old window 6" above the sink. I cannot do that now because the bottom of the windows are lower so the vent would only be 2" or 3" above the sink if ran horizontally. I think the easiest way is start the vent (in the wall) above the P-trap and run it diagonally under the windows with waste fittings until I reach the 42" elevation. I have no idea if this will prevent siphoning though.

Attachments

• plumbing.pdf
    198.9 KB · Views: 154

Reach4

Reaction score
Is the stack in your drawing venting anything in the basement?

Reach4

Reaction score
No. There is no basement. Only an 18" crawl space.
So what about using the "stack" below the vent as a drain? You could block the current drain.

I suspect your drawing was not quite the way it used to be, because the vent should be attached after the output part of the trap.

Terry's ideas are the best. But you have options.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks