Kitchen Remodel and old plumbing issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

MarcSavage

Reaction score
We are planing a kitchen renovation the sink plumbing will need to be brought up to date. Right now the 1.5" copper drain pipe runs 5 feet left of the sink to the main 4" copper stack.

The issue with the current configuration is that:
A) The pipe diameter is too small
B) The drain pipe runs right in the middle of the base cabinets.

With the new cabinets, I'm either going to have run the drain pipe in the 4" toe kick space or within the joist cavities below.

Is there any easy way to connect the new 2" ABS to the 4" copper stack? My plumber is suggesting we replace the stack from the second floor to the basement with an ABS one.

Thanks

Marc

Last edited:

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
MarcSavage said:
We are planing a kitchen renovation the sink plumbing will need to be brought up to date. Right now the 1.5" copper drain pipe runs 5 feet left of the sink to the main 4" copper stack.

The issue with the current configuration is that:
A) The pipe diameter is too small
B) The drain pipe runs right in the middle of the base cabinets.

With the new cabinets, I'm either going to have run the drain pipe in the 4" toe kick space or within the joist cavities below.

Is there any easy way to connect the new 2" ABS to the 4" copper stack? My plumber is suggesting we replace the stack from the second floor to the basement with an ABS one.

Thanks

Marc

Unless he's shown you serious deterioration, I'd ask him to simply replace the 1-1/2" t-wye with a 2".
Give us pics.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
He probably wants the copper for scrap!? At something over $3/pound, it adds up.

Doing a proper vent may be the biggest task.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks