kitchen peninsula outlet

Users who are viewing this thread

samlin7

Reaction score
Hi

I was told my kitchen peninsula needed an outlet to be up to code.

I am not sure where to put the outlet? There are 3 sides,
side 1: faces the kitchen are
side 2: faces the walk through area into my kicthen
side 3: Faces the larger open area/dining room

I think i need it on side 2, but am not sure,

Also I don't know if I need to put it 12-18" above the ground or a couple inches below the counter?

My peninsula is 5' long.

Thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Depends on how big (long) the island counter is; it could require more than one. Sometimes, it's nice to put the outlet IN the countertop. This would allow you to plug in things and not have the cord hanging over the edge. Wait for the pros for a real answer. You really need to ask the inspector what he wants to pass it. What is required would somewhat depend on which code applies where you live...they are not the same everwhere. For yours, I'd consider one on each end. I think they like one every 4'., but I suppose one in the middle would keep it below that distance.

samlin7

Reaction score
my countertop is granite, I prefer not have an outlet on the counter top.

But is having an outlet every 4' in the kitchen code? which i why you brought that up?

thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Generally, yes. The specifics are in the code, which I haven't read in awhile, so that's why I said wait...

Billy_Bob

In the Trades
Reaction score
The general idea is that you don't need to use an extention cord anywhere and that appliance wires would not need to be draped over a sink to get to the outlet.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
210.52(C)(3) Peninsular Counter Spaces. At least one receptacle outlet shall be installed at each peninsular counter space with a long dimension of 600 mm (24 in.) or greater and a short dimension of 300 mm (12in.) or greater. A peninsular countertop is measured from the connecting edge.

There is nothing in 210.52(C)(3) that requires more than one receptacle.

210.52(C)(5) requires that the receptacle be not more than 12" below the countertop and shall not be located where the countertop extends more than 6" beyond the base.

If the peninsula is divided by a range or sink then 210.52(C)(4) requires that any space larger than 12 x 24 inches have an outlet.

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
Bob nailed it.
An island or peninsula needs only ONE receptacle by code, regardless of size, unless it is split by a sink or cooktop. Then it is considered two spaces.

KD

Reaction score
If installed on the top of the counter, you would need a periscope or pill box type of enclosure or a vertical wall or split level counter top wall, so that fluids could not be easily spilled into the outlet.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
If installed on the top of the counter, you would need a periscope or pill box type of enclosure or a vertical wall or split level counter top wall, so that fluids could not be easily spilled into the outlet.
UUUGGGGLYYYYYY.

samlin7

Reaction score
Thanks for the input it helps

Wanna ask for some ideas, when you install the outlet, do people just leave the romex cable exposed in the base cabinets or do they use some sort of conduit?

Thanks

Chris75

Electrician
Reaction score
Thanks for the input it helps

Wanna ask for some ideas, when you install the outlet, do people just leave the romex cable exposed in the base cabinets or do they use some sort of conduit?

Thanks

I do, but some feel it subject to physical damage.

GShelton

Reaction score
Website
www.houseofshelton.com
Just run the Romex out of the top of the box and secure it as high up in the cabinet as possible. (Way toward the rear so it will clear any drawers, etc..) Should not be an issue then.

If it will make you sleep better at night, you can run it in metal flex, but it will be fine without it as long as you secure it out of the way.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks