Kitchen p-trap/sink/pipe/drain predicament

Users who are viewing this thread

in need of help

Reaction score
This was done by a certified plumber. A home inspector advised me that i have no p-trap. Went back to the plumber and he reassured me that he created one and due to the distance this was the best he could do. I accepted it not knowing better. Recently sewee gasses have been backing up into the home so called the city inspector and they advised me i need a p-trap amongst other things. I have done my research but am not 100% sure on what to purchase or hot to properly assemble the pipes to have a proper p-trap installed. I feel the sink drain is too low for the wall drain. Not sure how to get a p-trap in there. I have attached a picture. Any suggestions? 20131022_171732.jpg

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
You have a trap just not a p trap! Not was not installed by a plumber just a handihack! You have to start back at the wall where that copper pipe comes from
and lower the drain in the wall and the bring it back under the cabinet with a real
p trap!

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your plumber is certified? by whom?

Anyway, the wall drain is too high - lower it and install a P trap.

Caduceus

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The basket strainers are a bit deep and by having a more shallow type strainer installed could get you more elevation for the p-traps and drainage piping. But it is definitely true that that is not a p-trap. Some certified plumbers will do shoddy work to save time and money.
The way I would do it is to cut open the wall and lower the drain. A p-trap could then be installed on each of the sink bowls. If the venting of the traps is an issue, each trap could be equipped with it's own approved auto vent. It also looks like there is a dishwasher discharge connection on the drain that is not connected or plugged off. If the wall cannot be cut open, then by using the shallow basket strainers that I mentioned and the auto vents for each trap, you could still have the proper installation.
Of course we don't really expect you to do the work since you already paid a plumber to do it, but maybe printing a copy of this thread and showing the plumber it will remind him of how things should be done.
Don't give up on this problem, plumbing inspectors are there to look out for your health and safety and keep tabs on poor plumbing practice.

ks_brasstech_short.jpg

Short
ks_brasstech_chrome.jpg

Long

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The "design" of a drain determines whether you have a "P" trap or not, and since yours IS a "P", you do have a P trap, but it is an assembled one, not a premade design. Your drain is a candidate for a two trap installation, because there is no way to connect the two drains together and still be above the wall pipe.

in need of help

Reaction score
Thank you all for ur remarks and suggestions. They guy who did the nstall is licenaed and worka for Always Plumbing. I wont discredit the company because of one plumbers make shift p-trap. I will see about lowerirthe drain and putting in a manufactured p-trap. Thanks again!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Did you see what I said about TWO "P" TRAPS, so you would not have to go to the expense of lowering the drain line, if it were even possible in your situation.

hboogz

Reaction score
hj -- trying to shore up my knowledge. In the event that a drain is that high, it's always best to install a P-trap for each sink and, if possible, use shorter strainer's ?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Your drain is a candidate for a two trap installation, because there is no way to connect the two drains together and still be above the wall pipe.

What he is saying here, You're boxed in a corner and this may be your only option.

If the drain in the wall is vertical, you can cut in the tee lower.
If it's horizontal, you may have to pull cabinets out until you find that vertical piece.
Or..........you can arm over from where it is now, wye off for the second trap and get it done as best you can.
Right now, most of the mess that is under there is under water, all the time.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks