Kitchen faucets

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
The Sunday before Thanksgiving, I replaced the kitchen faucet because it was leaking externally (Moen single handle). Tired of constantly fixing it, I bought a Delta single side handle with the pull out sprayer that the wife liked.

The cold water barely dribbled out while the hot flowed normally. When I tapped the side of the housing with a plastic handled screwdriver, the flow improved but is still maybe half the hot water pressure. There are no kinks in the PVC tubing on the new faucet. I swapped the hot and cold lines and now the cold flowed strong (from the hot lever position) so I sent Delta an email (phone wait 35 minutes). They sent me a new cartridge which I installed last night - same problem. There must be some restriction inside the housing (I tried a couple of things to no avail).

So I'll have to torture my knee again and pull this faucet out and return it. I know they don't make things like they used to, but I am looking for some thoughts as to what I should buy in the $250 range. I'd prefer not to go to a two handle job unless there are no other reliable options.

Thanks.

John

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Which model was it? Was it a Delta Touch faucet? Our Delta Trinsic at the office sporadically has limited flow that I think is caused by the check valves.

We install Tons of Delta Trinsic and Kohler Simplice faucets in remodel projects.

And before pulling it out, I would call Delta and have them diagnose it. Likely replacing the cartridge. Maybe something dislodged and got stuck in the cartridge

Last edited:

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
Which model was it?

It's a 19962Z-SSSD-DST Not a touch faucet. I work in electronics and don't trust modern electronics as far as I can throw them.

Delta already sent a replacement cartridge which didn't help at all. I installed it last night. The good thing is that it's a 3 minute job. Too bad it didn't fix it.

There's some sort of restriction in the main body itself - maybe a crimp from the PVC feeders to the brass. I removed both hot and cold water lines, removed the spray head, and tried blowing through the assembly by mouth. When the handle is in the cold position, the effort to blow through is much higher than when the lever is rotated to the hot position. I can't think of any reason the two wouldn't be identical. Again, there are no kinks in the PVC tubes going into the valve.

I tried running the faucet with the hot and cold reversed hoping the hot water running through the restricted side might soften and dislodge an obstruction, then I tried back feeding some white vinegar into the valve body and letting it sit, but nothing helps, so out she's coming.

I don't want to do this a third time, and because Delta doesn't know what's wrong, I don't want to take a chance of this being a bad run and getting stuck with another, so Delta is out.

I'm now kicking myself for not saving $200 by buying one of those $35 Chinese copies that have great ratings online.

John

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
In my experience you're never saving $200 by going with a $25 faucet. I haven't pulled and replaced a single Delta faucet in as far as I can remember and we install literally thousands of faucets and valves of theirs each year. Same for Moen, Kohler, American Standard.. I've had some issues with them all and have had them provide excellent service in resolving them.

Theres also a possibility that the faucet had been installed, returned and placed right back on the shelf. I see that occasionally as we're buying from so many vendors these day.

and agreed, some of the electronic faucets are kind a iffy IMO

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
I haven't pulled and replaced a single Delta faucet in as far as I can remember and we install literally thousands of faucets and valves of theirs each year. Same for Moen, Kohler, American Standard.. I've had some issues with them all and have had them provide excellent service in resolving them.

Well, I don't trust the Delta at this point. Most likely the PEX crimp crushed the brass neck (if it has one inside the body) or there's some residual flashing left over from the casting. In either case, this faucet was never tested. So much for QC. The faucet I replaced was a Moen, and that was a constant battle of drips and then external leaks in the ten years I had it, so I'm not keen on Moen either.

Forgetting Delta, which faucet would you buy for your kitchen, the Kohler or American Standard, or something else?

also a possibility that the faucet had been installed, returned and placed right back on the shelf. I see that occasionally as we're buying from so many vendors these day.

LOL, no chance! I had the queen of package inspection with me! If that had box had ever been opened, my wife would have ferreted any evidence out.

John

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
The faucet we install the most in our remodel projects and I never have to warranty is the Kohler Simplice.. selling on Kohler.com for $200 or $230 on HD. But one thing.. our faucets are coming through a plumbing wholesaler vs a big box retailer. While HD is referencing the exact same model number as my wholesaler it likely is manufactured differently.

kohler-simplice-vs.jpg

The Kohler Bellera appears to be the same faucet internally, but with a body style more similar to the Delta you had and priced similarly to the Simplice. K-560-CP

k-560-cp.jpg

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
The faucet we install the most in our remodel projects and I never have to warranty is the Kohler Simplice.. selling on Kohler.com for $200 or $230 on HD. But one thing.. our faucets are coming through a plumbing wholesaler vs a big box retailer. While HD is referencing the exact same model number as my wholesaler it likely is manufactured differently.

The Kohler Bellera appears to be the same faucet internally, but with a body style more similar to the Delta you had and priced similarly to the Simplice. K-560-CP

Thanks for the info!

John

EDIT: Kohler K-560 made in China. I'm going to check with a plumbing supply house - maybe their isn't Chinese.

Last edited:

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
I ended up returning the faucet and swapping it for the same model. We saw a Kohler we liked but it was made in completely in China despite costing $50 more than the Delta.

In any case, the replacement works perfectly with identical flow pressure on hot and cold. I don't know what the obstruction was in the first model (maybe some flashing that wasn't removed).

John

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks