Kitchen faucet strainer clogged with rubber/plastic?

Users who are viewing this thread

derwoodkirkwood

Reaction score
Anyone ever hear of this: last week the kitchen faucet flow reduced to a trickle--the faucet is American Standard cartridge type--it has braided steel supply lines attached to cut off valves under sink--from the valves to the city water supply, it is all copper. When i took the cartridge out, I found a piece of what looked like rubber stuck in one of the supply holes--then i discovered the strainer was jam clogged with similar particles--black, small like pebbles, some pieces a bit bigger--and jagged. The pieces are so small it is hard to say had they are, but they do seem to be rubber when i press w/ fingernail

Is it possible the hose in the braided steel supply lines has started disintegrating?

I can't figure any other explanation for where the debris is coming from--no other fixture in the house has the problem, so it doesn't seem to be in the water supply in general. But, it also seems far fetched that a hose would start to disintegrate.

I replaced everything, faucet and hoses, but it bothers me not knowing what caused it--any ideas?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It could be the supply hoses. As a precaution, I might replace them.

jepalan

Reaction score
(I am not a plumber). I had this happen with some old multi-turn stop valves under the bathroom sink. They had not been closed in years. I tried to close them and the water would not turn off completely. When I turned everything back on the flow was restricted. I found what looked like rubber debris in the faucet strainer and in the faucet on/off valve.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
shutoff-bad-washer-1.jpg

On the hot side I often have problems with the rubber washer breaking up.

shutoff-bad-washer-2.jpg

OutsideLinebacker6

Reaction score
Yeah this just happened to me. Kitchen style faucet with pullout sprayer clogged with what appears to be pieces of a thin rubber glove. See pic below. I had to remove spray handle and clear this twice in 2 days...
IMG-20190612-220826.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks