Kitchen Faucet - Holes too Close to Backsplash

Users who are viewing this thread

moeronn

Reaction score
My wife and I bought a house about a year ago and want to replace the kitchen faucet. This is more of for ease of use than for looks, since the reach of the spout is so short (~8-1/2") it makes it difficult for me and my vertically challenged wife to do dishes without leaning over. The main issue is the clearance from the hole center to backsplash is only about 1". This leaves very few options for replacing the faucet, as most have diameters of 2-1/4" or more.

We have purchased a Delta Pilar Touch 2 0 (980T-SSSD-DST), thinking we might be able to "shave" off 1/8" of the plastic base to make it fit. I know this would void the warrantee, but would it affect the operation of the faucet? We'd have to do this to the base of the faucet and base of the handle. I'm a little concerned because of the electronics and it is about a $300 faucet. However, if I don't get a new faucet soon, my wife is threatening to never do dishes again.

The counter and backsplash are granite slab. The sink was probably too large for the standard counter depth, but the previous owners made it fit - forcing the tightness around the faucet.

Any thoughts on modifying the Delta faucet or suggestions for other options are greatly appreciated.

The only other possible option might be to have someone come out and expand the holes toward the sink, but even that may not work.

faucet2 by MoeRonn, on Flickr

faucet1 by MoeRonn, on Flickr

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Having the holes closer to the sink in granite risks cracking it. What you might consider doing is mount the faucet on the back side of the sink - on the right-hand side if you are right-handed, or on the left, if left-handed. That's what I did on mine. I have a water filter faucet directly in back in the middle, and a soap dispenser on the left, symmetric with the main faucet on the right. My sink is 'D-shaped', with the rounded end towards the back. So, my faucet is on the right side, about where the back of the D starts to curve around to the other side. Works fine. You could put a cap on the existing hole, or use it for something like I did - filtered water, or a soap dispenser.

You need to look underneath the cabinet to see how much room there is between the edge of the sink and the hole...that would help you determine if you could have the hole made larger. You might be able to use the existing hole for the sprayer mount, and make a new one to mount the faucet elsewhere like I did.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; What you might consider doing is mount the faucet on the back side of the sink -

Where is the "back side of the sink"? You cannot mean inside the sink on the back wall, and there is no more room ANYWHERE between the sink and backsplash than where it is now. Nor can you mean on the side of the sink because that would cause a problem with the other side, meaning they would have to pull the spout out everytime they wanted water there.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
I've only got a single bowl, so it doesn't really matter. The pictures were added after the original post. WIth multiple holes already in the slab, and that little room, you'll have to look very carefully to find one that will fit. Doesn't look like there's much room to consider making the holes larger.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
It looks to me like any attempt to modify that faucet would be a disaster. I think you will affect the stability and the waterproofness. Easy for me to say, and you have nothing to lose by trying, except of course the 3 c-notes. This might be a better solution : http://mattroloff.com/das/products.php

moeronn

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. Yes, the pictures were added after the original post and I didn't mention that it was a double sink - both sides full depth. It would have been much easier if one side was smaller.

We'd only need to widen the holes about 1/4", actually elongating the hole, if that is even possible through granite.

Also, modifying the faucet doesn't seem that risky. If you look at the faucet (http://www.deltafaucet.com/kitchen/details/980T-SSSD-DST.html), modifying the bottom base doesn't look like it would affect stability or waterproofing. There is a gasket that is inside the area that would be trimmed off and I might add a dab of silicon. I think the main function of the base is to insulate the faucet from a metal sink or standing water, since it is a touch system. The non-touch versions of the same model to not have the plastic base. I was thinking of using a metal file/rasp to file it down on the back side.

I really don't have $300 to waste if this doesn't work, but if I find a solution with this, $300 is a small price to pay to stop the complaints. ;)

@ jimbo - While my wife is fairly short, not quite to that point. ;)

moeronn

Reaction score
After a little more investigation, it seems that the Pilar will not work out. Not only is there the problem with the base plate, but the holes in the counter aren't big enough for installation.

We're going to look at the Kohler Simplice with 9" reach (K-647). It isn't a lot longer reach, but the spout is angled, which should help. Tomorrow I need to remove the existing faucet to verify deck thickness and hole sizes. It's really tight under the sink and I'm not even sure if an angled wrench will do the trick.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Many faucets spec a 1-3/8" hole. WIth what you have, they may have drilled smaller ones. It's going to be tough, I think. A diamond core bit will cut new holes. It is tricky with many of them since they don't have a center pilot bit (which wouldn't work anyways with what you have), but it can be done. A cheap one might be about worn out going through the slab, but a commercial quality one is probably 10x as expensive. If you get out of alignment, it will bind, and you could crack the slab. So, it is not for the feint of heart! A 2cm slab isn't all that strong. If you got a faucet with a wide base, it might cover the outer holes, and if you can get the guts through the center hole, it should work. Maybe some time spent at a kitchen/bath showroom might be in order - take along your ruler.

Gsalet

George the Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.PlumbingPro.com
A Delta 100 would probably work it uses 1/4 inch studs to anchor the faucet to the counter. a longer spout can be ordered to meet your requirements. The delta 100 is not as nice as the faucet you have but it might solve your problem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks