Kitchen faucet bangs

Users who are viewing this thread

BruceY

Reaction score
when ever we turn on our kitchen sink faucet it , for lack of a different word, goes bang when first turned on. It's worse and does it multiple times if I use the Brita filter option. It's not loud but is noticable No leaks underneath the sink and doesnt do it any oter faucet in our home, just the kitchen sink:confused:

quinocampa

Mechanical engineer in marketing. Uhuh.
Reaction score
Hammer arresters are water accumulators plumbed into the copper piping near the point of use to cushion the sudden stopping of water flow. I thought it was only a phenomenon when shutting off the faucet, not turning it on? Your problem is when you open the faucet valve?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Assuming this sink has a spray attachment, it could be the divertor might be sticking and jamming closed when yo uturn on the water. See what the pros say. What brand and model? Might be good to post a picture.

BruceY

Reaction score
First sorry I didnt get right back to you guys, seemed I had "email notification" not set:eek:

Anyhow it's a KOHLER K-10412 SINGLE LEVER KITCHEN SINK FAUCET. It ONLY bangs when water is turned ON.

We recently moved into this home with the faucet already there. It did it a little then but didnt think too much of it. I recently replaced "O" rings, bearings , and the cartrige in Nov '08 due to it leaking. Now getting to "little things" around here and want to know how to fix this issue.:D

BruceY

Reaction score
BEFORE turning on the water , THIS time I picked up the sprayer , squeezed the trigger THEN turned on the water. NO BANG. just a slight double bang when sprayer trigger released. For the next 2 mins when I went to turn the water on for the regular nozle.........NO BANG AT ALL:confused:

NOW 10 mins later and STILL cannot get faucet to bang but still get slight double bang when sprayer trigger released:confused:

oh ya you asked if same bang origianl bang hard and very noticible and only 1 bang as water turned on. The double ang when sprayer used is faint and 2 bangs it seems

Last edited by a moderator:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Check your sprayer and hose for leaks.
I believe what you are calling a bang is the diverter valve filling the sprayer hose when you turn on the faucet.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
No I believe that the pressure inside the sprayer line is draining down causing the diverter to do what it is supposed to do when you turn on the faucet.

BruceY

Reaction score
Leakdown? wheres the water going? How then do I fix this. Its the first faucet to do this and its anoying

Redwood..........Thank YOU

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Is the connection fron the hose to the sprayer leaking?
Is the sprayer leaking?
It doesn't take much.

BruceY

Reaction score
Just checked and no leaking with faucet on or sprayer on. Also when sprayer was on I moved the hose around to see if it leaked. No water detected

BruceY

Reaction score
IT only bangs when main faucet is turned on OR when sprayer's trigger is released, so I cant tell if pressure drops because of it

drthokie

Reaction score
Hi, I just found this board and thread through a google search. Brucey, I have the exact same faucet and same issue your are experiencing. I also moved into my house a little less than 2 years ago and the faucet came with the home. I am on my third diverter valve (including the one that was in the faucet when I moved in). I have also replaced the bearings (rings) and ball that you select hot/cold water. I have contacted Kohler a few times, sometimes they are nice enough to "goodwill" the parts even though the faucet is not under warranty. When I give them these symptoms they keep telling me it is the diverter valve. I have had my most recent diverter valve in for a couple weeks now. When I replaced the 2nd with the 3rd, I could not find any difference in the two, and they are both giving my the banging. I believe the problem lies deeper than the diverter valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks