Kitchen drain in slab home

Users who are viewing this thread

RichZ123

Reaction score
What is this?

The straight pipe from my kitchen sink is splitting, you can see a little split coming out of the tape in the pic below.

3.JPG

currently i have plumbers putty and silicone tape hold it together for a quick fix.

1.JPG

I am at a lose though for this flange / cap part, is this just a worn down flange where it goes into the slab or is something else in play that i need to be concerned about?

It is completely round (no flats for a wrench) and i don't know if its welded / brazed in or if i can get a pipe wrench around it and take it off like a normal fitting...

Thanks for any and all help with this issue,

Rich

4.JPG
5.JPG

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You have 1.5" copper going into a 2" cast iron hub I believe.
A simple fix would be to cut the copper about an inch above the lower fitting, use a Mission 1.5" copper x plastic coupling, and run either PVC or ABS from there.
Or you can go for broke and see if you can remove that stuff at the floor and use a rubber sleeve for going into the cast iron hub.

washer-galv-abs-2.jpg

You may have a poured lead seal going into the cast hub at the floor level.

RichZ123

Reaction score
You have 1.5" copper going into a 2" cast iron hub I believe.
A simple fix would be to cut the copper about an inch above the lower fitting, use a Mission 1.5" copper x plastic coupling, and run either PVC or ABS from there.
Or you can go for broke and see if you can remove that stuff at the floor and use a rubber sleeve for going into the cast iron hub.

washer-galv-abs-2.jpg

You may have a poured lead seal going into the cast hub at the floor level.

RichZ123

Reaction score
Thanks for the input, I went ahead and took a hacksaw to the straight pipe as low to the hub as i could with about an inch of pipe still sticking out.

I then put a Fenco rubber reducer over it and changed most everything out so its fully pvc now and new parts.

i put it all back together wrong for this pic and was sitting on the couch thinks somethings not right:
New1.jpg

it occured to me the reason for the s-trap was to keep the gasses out and that i hooked the dishwasher wye in the wrong spot, 2300 hrs and im back under the sink but it got done pretty quickly the last time since i did it 3-4 times already today.

New2.jpg

still havent ran the dishwasher but everything else seems leak free, fingers crossed!

thanks again!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
What you have is an S trap, which tends to siphon dry.
I normally put an AAV after the trap if I'm going down toward the floor.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks