Kitchen double sink drain options...

Users who are viewing this thread

Christina.

Reaction score
We're going to redo our kitchen's double sink drain that's crumbling away as we speak – looooong overdue. Just a normal double sink with dishwasher, no garbage disposal. Looking at our options & came across this article https://www.finehomebuilding.com/2007/07/01/better-undersink-plumbing. To a non-plumber, all of the reasoning behind this configuration seem sound & good reason to stray from the cheap kits at home depot. Wondering what the pros think of this setup & if it truly is better for all of the reasons they state. (there's a comment on the article itself that questions the legality of it, which makes me wonder) Would appreciate any & all thoughts...many thanks!

better-undersink-plumbing.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The rubber tee is not allowed.
The rubber 90's are not allowed.

No venting for the P-trap which allows the trap t siphon and lose the trap seal.

What handyman made that article? It would not pass any plumbing inspection.

Fine home building is done by hacks? What a joke
I would love to see them pull a permit and try to get that mess passed by an inspector.

Last edited:

Christina.

Reaction score
The rubber tee is not allowed.
The rubber 90's are not allowed.

No venting for the P-trap which allows the trap t siphon and lose the trap seal.

What handyman made that article? It would not pass any plumbing inspection.

Fine home building is done by hacks? What a joke
I would love to see them pull a permit and try to get that mess passed by an inspector.

Yikes - thank you so much for the info, Terry. Just saved us a headache & some fernco dollars!

Fortunately, we're running into a vented wall line, so that bottom monstrosity wasn't really on our radar.

So with their fairytale venting & rubber aside, are the double-Y & 45 degree fittings no-nos too? We really like the idea of each sink & dishwasher running like that as to not "bottleneck" the system, as that part of diagram says. Or is this yet another fine home building hack? :(

Oh & since you asked, apparently that article was written by a fellow that goes by Rex Cauldwell, who just so happens to take claim at being a master electrician and plumber. Double yikes!

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
sorry but I cant read any of the article but its some kind of hack going against regular plumbing. its all junk. not a good option at all . save a few bucks but wont have a safe system

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Master electrician and plumber? Not by that article
What you have there are two basket strainers. You only have water going down those drains.
Are you adding a disposer? Even with that, get one that dices up the food matter so you don't have issues.
Disposers should be replaced every eight years to make sure they cut the food up into small bits. When they get old, the pieces get too large and then you can have problems. When I have been called out on a slow kitchen drain, it's often because the disposer has never been replaced and is no longer working as it should. Think knife blades, you have to keep them sharp. The same with a disposer.

sink_dw_hot.jpg

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Took another look at it . but not interested enough to seek it out in readable form (bigger print). There are a few truthes to this combined with a lot of mis info. moving pipes to rear of cabinet can be done. and using dwv pvc or abs is more solid than tubular , and can allow better sweep. but the use of the rubber fittings or the ones like an accordian are junk , as is his illustration a horrible example. I hope Terry puts his red pen across this and marks it wrong way so no one attempts to plumb this way

Reach4

Reaction score
Took another look at it . but not interested enough to seek it out in readable form (bigger print). There are a few truthes to this combined with a lot of mis info. moving pipes to rear of cabinet can be done. and using dwv pvc or abs is more solid than tubular , and can allow better sweep. but the use of the rubber fittings or the ones like an accordian are junk , as is his illustration a horrible example. I hope Terry puts his red pen across this and marks it wrong way so no one attempts to plumb this way
https://www.finehomebuilding.com/membership/pdf/20313/021188062.pdf is at least part of that.

Some inaccuracies including calling the polypropylene tubing "thin wall PVC". OK, not a meaningful objection. He also objects to slip joint stuff in general. I agree that glued plastic has its merits, it has some significant deficiency if you want to change something. And then there is the major sin of using the black flexible rubber santee and elbow. Disallowed by all of the codes AFAIK.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
If I lived 100 miles from nowhere and found one of those rubber thingy tee s in my barn or from a radiator hose on the junk cars in my yard Id go for it!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks